• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kids and black belts

lol, I've seen plenty of adults fall into the trap of using belts as a means of saying "I'm better than you" and bragging.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, I've seen plenty of adults fall into the trap of using belts as a means of saying "I'm better than you" and bragging.

My thoughts exactly!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

This is such a hot topic only because no one can agree on what a black belt should represent. I don't disagree with Shorin Ryu Sensei's guidelines that he uses. However, for every child black belt that I've ever seen I can think of 2 or 3 adults that don't deserve their belts for the same reasons stated.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Think about this, why halt a kids progression? The entire time instructors are saying "You can do anything you want if to set your mind to it" and etc.. But then we slam on the brakes and say "Oh well you will have to wait until you are 16 for your BB" What kind of crap is that? Are children mature enough to handle the responsiblities of a black belt? Some are, some aren't, just like adults, but why should there be such a huge difference in the maturity of a black belt as compared to a brown or red belt? Aren't we as martial artists bound to the same principles regardless of rank?

I understand that balck belts are required to perform to a higher standard, physically and emotionally, but if we can make exceptions for people who are older and have lost flexibility. why not make exception for those who have not gained maturity and mold them in the way that is honorable and right?

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

why not make exception for those who have not gained maturity and mold them in the way that is honorable and right?

Simple.

Because physical limitation is a far different animal than immaturity. The 'effect' of receiving a belt is mental, not physical.

Someone obtaining a black belt is told they 'know' the basics. The basics of their art, but also the basics of understanding the responsibility associated with their skills, and with the receipt of a black belt. Receipt of a black belt is often the indication the practitioner is ready to guide others along a similar path, which goes back to 'being an example.'

Also, an immature black belt can create some serious 'embarrassments' for a school, while a physically limited, yet mature, person will not.

Belt ranks are a pariah in the martial arts community, but seeing as they exist.. and seeing the problems associated with them, there is a need for responsible deliverance. They speak volumes to the initiated, as well as the uninitiated.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 4 weeks later...

In our federation in oder to become a shodan you must be 18 years old. There are some exceptions ... a coleague was tested at 16 years old and I mean TESTED. She had to really prove exceptional to benefit from this and she did. But usually you must be 18 years old. Otherwise ... brown belt (1 kyu) is for you. I've never seen our teenagers with brown too sad they can't test for shodan. They have a high rank already so it's OK with them

• 2 weeks later...

Officially I am against anyone under the age of 16 being a Black Belt. Case in point. The local Zen Do Kai organization here in my small town recently promoted a 10 year old to black belt. I saw this kid at a tournament, the whole time chasing lower ranks around trying to hit them with nunchakus, which he then passed to his younger sister for her to do the same. In my opinion the black belt is a sign that one has a firm grasp on who they are, being self-controlled, self-disciplined, humble, courteous....... thats a black belt, not a kid who doesnt even know that when he hits someone he could kill them and suffer heavy legal penalties. You must atleast understand the consequences of your actions before even thinking about being a black belt.

Shidoshi

Personally, I agree with school that possess an age limitation for black belt graduation.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 2 weeks later...

I think bein a black belt at a young age is a very bad idea. I have been in Karate for 4 years and im right in the middle of the ranking system. Being a black belt may meen you kno the technique and basic style but when you are young you arent ready mentally or physically to compete with that level of belt in a tournament. Dojos that produce black belts at the ages up to 16 seem like they are only after the money and to please the parents with progress. Being blackbelt at a raw age gives you false ideas about how good you really are in a real fight or in a tournament. It makes them cocky also they are not able to have the maturity it takes to be a black belt. Also they think they can whoop anyone and when they get whooped then they will not go or the parents will blame the sensei.

• 2 weeks later...

age has nothing to do with it , it is the skill and the dertimination that dertimans if yuo should be awarded a black belt or not because my mate is a brown and double white and is 14 and he will get his black belt probably because of his dertimination.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!