• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kids and black belts

Martial arts isn't just about learning a bunch of techniques, and young children aren't mature enough to see the deeper meanings and work past the 'bunch of techniques'.

Very well put. :) My sentiments exactly.

Mixed Martial Artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what age does a person no longer need a belt?

I don't give any belts to anyone over 13-14, they are not needed. So an adult black belt isn't going to happen.

I figure adults should be able to train without the need for external validation.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

True, a belt is just that - a belt.

However, everyone likes to be rewarded for their acheivements and belts are one way of showing this (as long as they're properly earned, of course!! :D).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

the belt isn't the reward,

the knowledge and skill is.

it's hard to differentiate but it is an important difference.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

the belt isn't the reward,

the knowledge and skill is.

it's hard to differentiate but it is an important difference.

exactly. I find it difficult to accept that a 10 or 12 year old would know how to distinguish between the two things.

I dont believe the average kid of 10 (or occasionally even younger) has the mental maturity to have the skill and knowledge of a black belt level so I dont think they should be given the black belt itself, as one symbolises the other, both to the practitioner and to opponents. I'm sure there are exceptions (where in life are their not?) but as a general view I would say that kids that young cannot make the distinction between havign the belt and being worthy of the belt.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

as a general view I would say that kids that young cannot make the distinction between havign the belt and being worthy of the belt.

That's why I don't agree with child black belts. My point about being given/awarded belts is that it is a recognisable award for acheivement and understanding. If there isn't understanding then no belt should be awarded.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I hesitate to jump in here again as this is a re-occurring subject but... (of course I can't help myself! :lol: ) I have 3 children who all worked very hard for and received a Jr. Black Belt before the age of 12, and I have another who will also receive a Jr. Black Belt before she is 14. As they get older I see the Black Belt qualities in them mature and they all feel a duty to uphold the resposibilities earned even though they no longer study( due to logistics). In no way were they ready for the "adult" responsibilities afforded older students but they made a contribution to the school, impacted many lives, and set excellant examples for their peers. The "Black Belt" experience they had as "children" has helped them to develop into responsible, motivated, genuinely nice young adults who cherish their childhoods for the experiences, friendships, and accomplishments. They understand humility and it's place in relationships, uphold high standards for themselves, are leaders rather than followers, are respected by teachers, and are very good friends to have. None of them have ever put themselves in a position to fight nor do they get picked on because they have self-confidence and use their "verbal judo" skills quite well. You can debate the age requirements all you want but you can not deny the value that martial arts training has for anyone of any age.

My 2cents (again!)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

My school is run by 6 year old black belt. and darn it when you inter are school you best call him "Sir" You don't want to be on the recieving side of one of his temper tantrums.

Carry on!

-Jeff ;-)

Well whats your chief Instructor name?

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro