• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you spar against someone with long arms and legs?

ITSUKO

Get in close and jam up their techniques. Feint low and attack high. Most of all, don't let their height intimidate you. Use the size difference to your advantage.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hee Hee, now us tall people know all your tactics! I'm quite tall with very long legs, but when I'm fighting someone taller than me (there is one guy at my club) I tend to stay near and try to duck all his punches! It sometimes works but I'm not that great at fighting so I generally lose anyway :bawling:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

Being a tall person (6'2") I would agree with the former tactics of getting in close, inside their guard/kicks/reach advantage. Although be careful if they are Goju trained, because you will be playing into their strengths. (you will know really quick) Then, stay back and try to tire them out.

I am not so sure guys about coming close. I did that and I always got my face or my ab punched. I also tried to use my legs but got the reverse punch. May be I should try to fake and let them to react and counteract or something.

Thanks alot guys.

I have this extremely tall person in my club, who has long legs and arms, and it is difficult for me to get in. What i find is that, since he isn't exactly proficient technically, I have the advantage of experience. Leg sweeps work well against tall persons. I find that they have a natural tendency to always watch their feet when they walk, so give them a distraction. Furthermore, getting in close is good with a gyaku tsuki to the body. If you keep your guard up and just go for a good gyaku at mid level, it will get you the reaction you want. I did not think of the idea of going for their face and jodan with jumps, I have to give that some thought. :D

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Guys with long arms and legs like to keep you at distance where they can use the reach to their advantage.

Tall guys like this tend to be slower but hit harder than smaller guys.

My advice:

1. Timing, timing, timing.

Wait for them to throw a judan or jodan mawashi geri then jump in and attack the rear leg.

Sending 6' + of opoonet crashing to the mat is always a great ego boost.

2. Get in close quick, hit and run out again using speed to your advantage.

If you are too slow you will get nailed with rib shots or knees.

ET