• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you spar against someone with long arms and legs?

ITSUKO

When I am up against people with long arms and legs, I tried to use my legs more. However, they always got me with the reverse punch. Anyone has any suggestions or techniques??? I do feel like David against Goliath. I have the gut but no useful techniques. :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Try and sneak in under their guard if they're tall. Try and keep close in so they can't use their kicks so much.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hmmm...as a tall person with long arms & legs, I don't know if I should be giving away my weaknesses...

Pretty much the thing that you need to do, like was said, is get in close. This takes out the advantage of distance. Once you're in, all that's really available to the other person are hand techniques, so keep your hands up. Then stay in close, and move quickly & agressively. If its sparring (or even a real life situation), keep moving the larger persno back to the edge of the mat/alley way/whatever, so they can't retreat & make the distance advantage their's again.

Try to move sideways. A long legged person is just as helpless as a short one when the opponent got on his right or left side side.

I also have long lengs and a criminal pleasure for high kicks. I also punch (gyaku tsuki) in counter attack so it's kinda difficult. Anyway. Counter attack is great once you've got the timing.

Getting into your opponents maai is important too. And low techniques are good since a tall person can hardly defend the lower part of his body