• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spinning ushiro-geri.

ESA-Shotokan

I have found there are two schools of thought on ushiro geri.

1. Starting from hidari zenkutsu-dachi.

First count: right knee up and bent, spin around 180 degrees, so your back is to the target.

Second count: perform thrust kick and pull back.

Third count: Step forwards towards target into migi zenkutsu-dachi.

2. Starting from hidari zenkutsu-dachi.

First count: Right leg bent and right foot brought up behind left knee; supporting leg kept bent. Still facing towards target.

Second count: As you spin,(180 degrees) extend leg and thrust out kick - this kicking action should cause the momentum of the turn on the supporting leg. Then pull back. You are again facing away from the target now.

Third count: Step forwards towards target into migi zenkutsu-dachi.

I personally prefer the second version, as the turning action feels more controlled.

Views?

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting I can't imagine throwing a spinning back kick from zenkustsu dachi at all. It is stance designed for punching or creating leg strength by kicking from it. I tend to throw it from neko ashi dachi then landing in sheiko dachi. Can you get any speed doing it the second way it just seems like that leg is in the air for way too long. Not trashing your thread I actuallt gave it a try your way it just didn't feel right

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Yeah the zenkutsu-dachi works for me, though in a freestyle or jiu-ippon situation, I would be in more of a back stance when executing this kick.

When performing this, you have to remember that there is no pause or stop, as indicated by the three counts; just one continuous action.

I think it is taught this way (version 2 above) so as to make you slow down a bit and work more on balance and power.

I can do it now and yes, very fast but that is after many years.

I learned to do a spinning back kick originally from a taekwondo L stance and besides kake dachi there really isn't a faster way of executing this technique. I like however the thought of slowing it down by doing it from zenkustsu I perhaps will have my students try it as control with this tech is super important especially in kumite.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

This is a real question......Why would anyone ever turn their back on an opponent to perform a spinning manuever? I would really like to hear some of the philosophy behind these spinning techniques that have a basis in self defense and not sparring. I had to learn spinning back kick, hook kick, crescent , heel and backfist just to name a few. I was young and never thought to question the validity of these techniques. Now, as I get older, I don't see the point. You generate more power, but at what cost? Balance is minimized along with being over committed and momentarily losing sight of the opponent. Please justify these techniques if you can.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I tend to never use this kick from a standstill, unless its in kihon or drills.

The only way I find it to be effective is as part of a combo while I have my opponent retreating. This helps minimize the chance of getting drilled in the back as Im turning. I dont like losing sight of my opponent not even for a split second. IMO, to lead an attack with that kick is like placing a sign on your back that says "Hit Me!!!". :o

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Yes, you turn away from the attacker but do not lose sight of them. Your head has to turn fast as you turn into the kick. The moment you have started to 'spin' your foot should ne buried deep into their stomach as the kime pushes them back and you complete the kick. Speed is always of the essence with ushiro-geri and is particularly useful with a big, heavy attacker as you can always stop them in their tracks. I tend to always use it to chudan and will then follow up with whatever combination.

The attack is very useful in a "real" fight situation as people just do not see it coming. They see you turn and at the same time, they are falling onto the floor or doubled over. If you are ever unsure if your punch will knock a particular bloke down, use a good kick and that is my first choice.

Ushido-geri is effective if you pivot first, then quickly do a 360 with your eye sight back to your opponent, then spin for the kick. Anything else is worthless because you will loose sight of your opponent - their advantage if they are on the ball...

Ushido-geri is also effective when opponent is charging in, then pivot and back kick (no spinning) to stop/shock the opponent, then retaliate with a Uriken Jodan, sweep and counter. :bawling: :brow: :D

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/