• hardly...
    • better than nothing
    • moderate
    • good
    • one of the best out there!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think it's Arnis all by itself, but I think a person will usually find that other styles like Silat or Kempo will be thrown in to make it a more complete art. At least that's the case in what I practice.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

for me its still difficult to believe that arnis is the choice for fast self defense for the reason stated above :-?

although i never had the chance to go try it out. i heard much good about it.

I've only been in FMA for a short period, so I am only providing a view of what I've experienced. In my case, Arnis is the weapons portion of the art. It teaches disarms/defense as much as how to strike. When other influences such as Silat and Kempo are combined you complete the system. It's really no different than other martial arts. Kuk Sool Won combined religious, royal, and rural population fighting methods into a single system. To only practice a single element within a system can leave a person deficient in other other areas of defense/offense. That's why something like Arnis might be combined with another style.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

• 4 months later...

In a local arnis school where I live, the first belt rank (there are ten ranks until black belt, the instructor's rank) requires sparring, and basic punches, blocks and kicks. So I'd say that at least their style goes to empty hand stuff right from the start.

i find arnis to be a very good art along with great self defense applications. The important thing to keep in mind is that when you train you must train hard, in all styles it is up to your methods of teaching and the way that you apply those methods to your training. So in that regard any style can be a great style as long as you train properly and have proper guidance.....

yet to reitterate my point and the point of the thread , Arnis is a very great art if properly executed...

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

It is true that most recognized arts can be effective if trained well. It is also a fact that quite often a set of training methods follow a given art/style and as such some arts are "better" or "worse" than other arts with similar, or exactly same techniques, if the training methods that are "attached" to the style differ significantly.

For example, there are styles that only do point sparring, and styles that do contact sparring. There are differences in sparring rules and so on. Some do predetermined drills, while others semi-free and free drills. All this can mean that two arts with quite similar technique-base can produce very differently skilled fighters.

kali/escrima/arnis do all derive from the same art. i love these styles because they are so complete. theyve taken influences from all over the world for theyre combat practices. and yes, it is a totally combatative art which is why it is the prime style taught to the military. i mean like other styles it has its own divisions. for example if ur interested in the more hardcore aspects fighting, using such weapons as knives and sticks, sayoc kali is where u want to be. but yeah if there were a phillipino arts school anywhere near me i would be all up on that because i only know some and to me thats not nearly enough.