• hardly...
    • better than nothing
    • moderate
    • good
    • one of the best out there!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

dont be annoyed, but i'd say its very much up to the teaching methods. like many other arts, arnis is capable of developing a good martial artist.

i dont know much aobut arnis really, but in contrast to many other arts you start with stick fighting/knife techniques and later train empty handed ones. since you dont carry around your arnis stick whenever your outside, i dont know inhowfar these stick-moves deliver a fast to learn self defense.

In conjunction with other arts it's great to know because you also learn the disarm techniques. At least I do. The angles of attack can apply to knives and other weapons too.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

as ZR said... arnis can be used w/ blades too kamas...

Kali/Arnis <- art of the blade and stick

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

Kali/Arnis <- art of the blade and stick

well, technically neither of those are specifically blade and stick arts. Arnis which comes from the spanish tittle "Arnis de Mano" (or hardness of hand) teaches empty handed and weapon techniques

Kali and Escrima are similair styles that have differant names because of differant regions they where taught in.

Im not trying to argue symantics, im just trying to coerrect a major misconception people have about Arnis. it is as much a "stick and blade" art as TKD is a Bojitsu art.

sticks and blades are part of the curriculum, but they are by no means it's primary focus.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

A weapon is an extension of the arm and most (if not all-my experience is limited) kali/arnis techniques work empty handed as well. We worked each technique on all aspects of a confrontation-both combatants armed, one combatant armed (either or), and no one armed. My experience with it deepened my understanding and application of many different self-defense techniques.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

"one of the best out there!!"

Obviously, depending on the school and the student. But the FMA's overall ar excellent, well rounded, and effective. Arnis is a weapons based art, but their weapons techniques translate well to both empty hand stand up fighting and to grappling. I'm fairly new to Modern Arnis (taught as a second art in the school I just joined). But I've worked out with several FMA guys before and they are tough.

Freedom isn't free!