• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

disadvantages of passive blocking

Also, remember remember that covering is done in conjunction with a slip, duck, etc. The goal is not to be there, and the cover is performed just in case you are hit. In the case of a straight strike, like a cross, jab, reverse punch, etc. the blow just slides off of your arm.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, remember remember that covering is done in conjunction with a slip, duck, etc. The goal is not to be there, and the cover is performed just in case you are hit. In the case of a straight strike, like a cross, jab, reverse punch, etc. the blow just slides off of your arm.

sevenstar, I'll have to agree with you to the extent that covering has its uses, and that it is a good thing to learn to do correctly. I totally agree about the not being there. I wouldn't want to rely solely on the cover, or even make it my primary blocking/recieving method. On the other hand, it may be more useful than I'd given it credit for. Think I might work on it some, play around and see. It doesn't really lend itself to my fighting style until I get in real close and, depending on who I'm fighting, I may bring my guard up boxer style to use a lot of elbow strikes. Who knows...

Thanks for the discussion so far.

Freedom isn't free!

kk75, agreed. Moving is best against kicks, especially roundhouses. Low kicks, to my base, I often leg check. But for straight kicks or side kicks to the mid section, try this sometimes; angle the block across your body and back toward your side as you step off line (I still move away from kicks- I'm chicken like that! :D ). It's sort of like a really hard parry, or a strike to position his leg, and because of the angle you are a lot less likely to hurt yourself. You vector the force, and also take it on both the radius and the ulna instead of just the ulna. If you time it right, it will not only move him to your outside, but will pull him in also, causing him to drop in place instead of rechambering. Leaves some pretty tantalizing targets open for your striking pleasure!

Sorry Delta, I missed your post again. Anyways, I agree. I do mostly leg checks or the Thai style shin block (I get yelled at for that one LOL). With the shin block, my hands are also free. I can counter the kick with a shin and a hand strike sending him off balance hehehehe.

Laurie F

close guard I like better. As for restricing my vision not really I don't keep my hands on my face. I can see that restricing your vision but having them an inch away or so doesn't. And if you are going to get blind sided in the street. You don't have your guard up any way its usually a suprise attack if you will get jumped so to speak.

-jeff

sevenstar, I'll have to agree with you to the extent that covering has its uses, and that it is a good thing to learn to do correctly. I totally agree about the not being there. I wouldn't want to rely solely on the cover, or even make it my primary blocking/recieving method. On the other hand, it may be more useful than I'd given it credit for. Think I might work on it some, play around and see. It doesn't really lend itself to my fighting style until I get in real close and, depending on who I'm fighting, I may bring my guard up boxer style to use a lot of elbow strikes. Who knows...

Thanks for the discussion so far.

yeah, it's definitely been an informative discussion - alot of people probably picked up a pointer or two. I'm an infighter, so I use it alot, and is likely why I'm so gung ho about it. I didn't use it nearly as much when I was training in longfist, but I am an infighter by nature, so I used it some, and now that I am doing MT, I get to use it quite a bit.

Shin blocks are illegal in TKD, but I use them anyway :D

Not with the bunch I work out with! But then, they are very non traditional. They train some for tournaments, but are mostly practical/SD oriented. I don't do any of the tournament stuff with them and they are ok with that. In fact, almost all the tournament oriented guys have left. One of their brown belts used to allways get aggrivated when we'd spar- his favorite phrase was "That would get you disqualified!" I'd just tell him "Not where I'd be using it." He finally decided he was never going to convert us so he got involved in some kind of church mission and went elsewhere looking for converts. :)

Incidentally, you can 'recieve' instead of just blocking with your shin also. Sometimes you can get your shin positioned on top of their kicking leg and let them carry you up into a kick of your own. You absorb and dissipate the power of their kick, at the same time borrowing their force for your own kick. Furthermor, your kick lands while they are on one foot.

Another one that I like, if you can contact your shin 'block/reception' to the side of their kicking leg, either inside or outside, you can redirect the force of their kick and cause them to over-extend and land in an awkward position. Let your immagination run wild from there!

Another advantage to reception instead of blocking, your shins are not nearly as sore afterwards. 8)

Freedom isn't free!

sevenstar, I worked a little bit with this. I could use a little more practice moving with the cover, and it is a worthwhile thing to develope. But I still don't like just leaving a cover type guard up, even in really close. I found, when concentrating on what I actually do in close instead of just doing it, that my hands up guard still is more of a check than the semi-static cover. AK teaches upward elbows (and most elbow strikes as well) as blocks also. They do double duty in close, as this 'cover' is in range for a strike. If his hands come up high, my check also comes up high when we are in close range. The checking hand(s) have sensitivity and follow his hands. From this guard I can simultaneously 'block' and strike with finger techniques or other in close strikes. I can also very quickly launch an upward elbow to clear his guard, cover, and/or strike. And don't forget, I'm still moving and striking with my feet and knees.

The difference in what I'm doing as opposed to the typical boxers guard in close is that my versatility and continuous motion is concentrated more in my extremitioes, using both to trap, position, control and strike, as well as defend. The boxers mobility is in his footwork and body movements- slipping and ducking, bobbing and weaving. If that is all you know, it isn't very versatile. On the other hand, I think you are correct that it is a good thing to develope and add to your skills. I think it can be more effective than I gave it credit for. But, I have a question for you: as a grappler, wouldn't you eat someone in the typical boxers defence alive? Seems to me they leave a good grappler way too much open and vulnerable.

Freedom isn't free!

sevenstar, I worked a little bit with this. I could use a little more practice moving with the cover, and it is a worthwhile thing to develope. But I still don't like just leaving a cover type guard up, even in really close.

you don't leave the cover up - normal guard is the boxer's guard - both hands in front of the face, covering from the cheek down to the ribs. when you slip, block a hook, etc. the arm comes up, as if you are combing your hair. It's the exact same motion as the upward elbow you mentioned, and can be used as such when slipping to the inside if you have the correct distance.

I found, when concentrating on what I actually do in close instead of just doing it, that my hands up guard still is more of a check than the semi-static cover.

same thing. the hands are up, guarding you. you parry from there. the parry is a basic of boxing and of thai boxing.

From this guard I can simultaneously 'block' and strike with finger techniques or other in close strikes. I can also very quickly launch an upward elbow to clear his guard, cover, and/or strike. And don't forget, I'm still moving and striking with my feet and knees.

once again, the exact same thing applies. the simultaneous bland strike is done with opposite hand though, as you step in and cover, you throw a punch with the other hand.

The difference in what I'm doing as opposed to the typical boxers guard in close is that my versatility and continuous motion is concentrated more in my extremitioes, using both to trap, position, control and strike, as well as defend.

no real difference there. parries redirect. I parry your punch downward, it redirects it, moving it out of the way and leaves you open for a counter.

But, I have a question for you: as a grappler, wouldn't you eat someone in the typical boxers defence alive? Seems to me they leave a good grappler way too much open and vulnerable.

Nah. Boxers have some of the most mobile foot work on the planet. That is the key to defending takedowns. Their limbs are in tight, they are centered and they are mobile.