• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

disadvantages of passive blocking

By covering up, you protect your body from attack while wasting minimum energy.

azn, this is one way that sparing, where you limmit contact and have padding, can lead to bad habbits. You have to consider the effects of full force attacks on any posture or technique. Leaving an arm out to take strikes is like standing there and blocking roundhouse kicks at 90'- it only works in a controlled environment. Real fights do not fit that description.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start thinking of blocks as attacks. If you start thinking of a block as an attack and actually attack the arm or the leg your defense becomes an offence. By the way, this will help your street defense also. I teach that there are no blocks only attacks.

More Practice

I teach that there are no blocks only attacks.

Yes, I like that aproach. Some of us have talked about this elsewhere on the forum. I try to think of blocks as "receiving", which implies doing something with it besides just stoping the attack. Hurt him, check him, position him, trap or grab him,... . I also agree with those who say that a block is not your primary defense against a strike. Action (the strike) will beat reaction (the block) unless you move the target. Then you have the time (mere moments) to do something with or to his striking limb.

Freedom isn't free!

azn, this is one way that sparing, where you limmit contact and have padding, can lead to bad habbits. You have to consider the effects of full force attacks on any posture or technique. Leaving an arm out to take strikes is like standing there and blocking roundhouse kicks at 90'- it only works in a controlled environment. Real fights do not fit that description.

he's not leaving his arm out - he's covering. you are hitting his arm, which is braced against his body. He will definitely feel the impact, but it will protect him. As for sparring, we go both light and full contact, and in the ring it's always full contact.

he's not leaving his arm out - he's covering. you are hitting his arm, which is braced against his body. He will definitely feel the impact, but it will protect him. As for sparring, we go both light and full contact, and in the ring it's always full contact.

ok, that type of block works if you get caught flat footed and can't get out of the way. Better to take it on the arm than in the ribs or head. But better still to not take it on either. That type of blocking is a last ditch effort, not what I'd try to do primarily. Not only do you take the shot (though not as bad), it leaves you open to simultaneouse multi level attacks. Now, I know there are counters to everything. But why risk that you'll be able to counter before he gets a good shot if you don't have to? Example: one good counter to an in close multi level attack is to add a body check or jam (like the hip thrust you mentioned earlier), which robs his power. But, if the high level atack is a finger technique to the eyes, it doesn't require a lot of power to be effective.

Freedom isn't free!

Yeah uechi a ray of light in this forum actual advice for once not just people arguing. Passive blocking covering up where the person is striking you must big hands. Seriously though one advantage to parrying a technique is that you can move while doing it to gain tactical advantage.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

You will also epend energy anytime that you have to absorb a blow from an opponent. To me covering is only a small step up from receiving the full brunt of the blow. It is much better to parry and redirect/ counter.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

You will also epend energy anytime that you have to absorb a blow from an opponent. To me covering is only a small step up from receiving the full brunt of the blow.

yeah, naturally. That is the reality of the fight.

It is much better to parry and redirect/ counter.

what's best is to not be there at all. each has it's usefulness though. There are situations where you can't be there. there are situations where you can't parry. Ever try to get on the inside of a good boxer with long arms? If you haven't just watch the tyson/lewis fight.

ok, that type of block works if you get caught flat footed and can't get out of the way. Better to take it on the arm than in the ribs or head. But better still to not take it on either. That type of blocking is a last ditch effort, not what I'd try to do primarily.

check out the above post about getting to the inside of a good, long armed boxer.

Not only do you take the shot (though not as bad), it leaves you open to simultaneouse multi level attacks.

a boxing/mt duck is only a slight bend in the legs - you are still out of the range of knee strikes. Kicks are handled the same was as they would be if you weren't ducking.

Now, I know there are counters to everything. But why risk that you'll be able to counter before he gets a good shot if you don't have to? Example: one good counter to an in close multi level attack is to add a body check or jam (like the hip thrust you mentioned earlier), which robs his power. But, if the high level atack is a finger technique to the eyes, it doesn't require a lot of power to be effective.[/b]

that's what the other arm is for.

Yeah uechi a ray of light in this forum actual advice for once not just people arguing. Passive blocking covering up where the person is striking you must big hands. Seriously though one advantage to parrying a technique is that you can move while doing it to gain tactical advantage.

you are taking the attack on the arm, not the hand.