• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

disadvantages of passive blocking

When I spar, I usually never slip, brush, or block. I usually just cover up the section that is being attacked. Usually, this works quite well. What are the disadvantages of passive blocking (just covering up) as opposed to more aggressive blocking, such as parrying and hard blocks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covring up is just fine for sparring and i do it alot becuase it is quick and easy to get a counter off..The only way i would see it being a bad thing is if someone attacked you with a knife..since most people dont see knives and just htink they are being punched it would be a bad thing.

The trouble would ocme when there are no gloves on. The arms would take the shots for a while then they would start bruising and geting stiff, this will slow you down keep you from striking back and even keep you from covering correctly.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

If you are talking about checks, you should allways have a check in place. But checks support active blocking/recieving as well as striking.

If you mean just leaving a guard in place by your head and moving it minimally to cover, like a boxer, there are several disadvantages:

*Your vision is restricted.

*Your arms and hands can be targeted for strikes.

*Your guard can be hooked or grabed.

*Elbow strikes will both clear and penetrate this guard.

*You leave lower targets unguarded.

*This guard encourages fighting from a crouch, in which case I'd prefer the grapplers guard.

*You have to let them get too close before you block.

Advantages:

*Easier to bob and weave rffectively.

*Quick, effective counter strikes.

*In close, where things happen fast, you might need that closer held guard.

*Also, in close, this guard supports quick elbow strikes.

*It lets you get in closer where knees and elbows can be used.

Everything has its place. I change my guard, depending on who I'm fighting and what I am doing, or how the fight progresses. Gives him something different to look at. But you have to know when and how to use any thing or it can get you slammed.

Freedom isn't free!

The trouble would ocme when there are no gloves on. The arms would take the shots for a while then they would start bruising and geting stiff, this will slow you down keep you from striking back and even keep you from covering correctly.

Ya beat me tu da punch! :P

I'm partial to center knuckle strikes to the backs of his hands. Also works if you hook the knuckle into nerves.

Freedom isn't free!

"Don't block with my arms when it comes to kicks. I usually parry them or try to. "

The kicks must be more fast than powerful, Try jamming with the legs or you will end up with a broken hand.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

the average fight won't last long enough for that to happen.

"Don't block with my arms when it comes to kicks. I usually parry them or try to. "

The kicks must be more fast than powerful, Try jamming with the legs or you will end up with a broken hand.

don't use the hand - use the forearm. thehand only comes into play if you are going to catch the kick or parry it away after it misses you.

Don't block with my arms when it comes to kicks. I usually parry them or try to. I sometimes do passive blocking. It works well in TKD, but I really don't like it to much for the reasons delta pointed out.

kk75, agreed. Moving is best against kicks, especially roundhouses. Low kicks, to my base, I often leg check. But for straight kicks or side kicks to the mid section, try this sometimes; angle the block across your body and back toward your side as you step off line (I still move away from kicks- I'm chicken like that! :D ). It's sort of like a really hard parry, or a strike to position his leg, and because of the angle you are a lot less likely to hurt yourself. You vector the force, and also take it on both the radius and the ulna instead of just the ulna. If you time it right, it will not only move him to your outside, but will pull him in also, causing him to drop in place instead of rechambering. Leaves some pretty tantalizing targets open for your striking pleasure!

I never understood downward blocks straight across your body to a kick, especially a roundhouse. I'm not large boned, and I figure my arm will give way before the average leg. Even stepping away, it will probably hurt me more than him. I also leave my elbow bent more than what I see a lot of people doing so that if the kick hits my hand there is some give.

To make this relavant to the original topic: you can't do this kind of thing from the static cover that aznkarateboi described. So that would be another disadvantage.

Freedom isn't free!