• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How young is TOO young?

TracyLou

I agree with ShorinRyu Sensei and White Warlock. the training should be the fun. If they don't like the training because it isn't what they thought it was going to be then perhaps they weren't ready to begin training.

I'm just curious. You folks that say to make sure you pick a school with a "good kids program", What is a good kids program?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if we don't go on belief, and instead we go into explanations?

I do know that there are instructors who can instruct adults, but cannot instruct children... and vice versa. I would assume that the inference of a 'good kids program' is towards the idea that a school has a well-rounded program for children... but that's rather silly, since what truly matters is the instructor. You can't just toss someone in front of a bunch of kids, tell them to follow some sort of program, and expect them to manage the kids appropriately.

I can instruct both children and adults, but i prefer adults. Children, on the average, need more affirmation than adults, which is something i'm presently working on (giving affirmation). I agree with Sasori, that if a child isn't enjoying the instruction, he's not ready... and he may never be. Oftentimes parents like to thrust children into martial art programs, thinking this will help a child develop... but... children have to have reached a certain degree of development 'before' they are instituted into a martial arts program.

I think it is important for parents to give children the opportunity to learn and grow, and i think it is important for them to encourage a child to 'continue' on a study course despite some setbacks. Indeed, a parent's involvement in their child's development is a great thing, as long as this development is for the child that will eventually grow up to be an adult, and not surreptitiously for the parent that is already an adult.

Which is where the problem truly lies. Many parents associate their 'self-esteem' to the success or accomplishments of their children. And while this may seem good at the early stages of a child's development, it eventually backfires. Judgement could go out the window in these cases. A child could be instituted into a school that throws out belts like confetti at a carnival. He could be pushed against his will to perform things that go against his already-developing philosophies. A child could be brought along to be shown off, as a trophy, rather than recognized as an individual... thereby undermining the entire study process. "Look at what he can do" rather than, "look at who he is."

These things, encouraged by a parent with the wrong mindset, could twist and undermine even a 'good kids program,' whatever the hell that is. So, in the end, a good instructor doesn't just teach a child, he gauges and instructs the parents in the development of their child. Martial arts is not merely the development of physical skills, nor is it merely something beneficial for the student. Properly instructed martial arts is presented as an 'extension' art. Something that reaches beyond the dojo, into everyday life.

Okay, enough of that.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Our age limit was stretched even more :) We've got a newbie that's 4 years old. For the first 2 training sessions he made a good impression. He's very well-behaved and did his best to perform the technique. He didn't jump around like others. Maybe's just shy and the real fuss would be in the future to come, or he's a good kid with a bright future in front of him. :roll:

if there good enough there old enough lve known 10yr olds not have as much an attention span as a 6yr old as long as they enjoy it we cant expect too much

theres no one style just your style---------

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend that in order to get your moneys worth as a parent, wait until they are 10. If you go to a decent school they will not give your child a full black belt until the age of 16. So if your child earns a black belt before that they could be a junior black belt in a "holding pattern", that is re-learning the same stuff until they reach 16. Not to mention that most kids under 10 do not stick with anything for too long.

Shidoshi

• 3 months later...

it is up to the 5 year old to learn karate. If you see in the first classes that hes just goofing off, or just not interested in it wait until he/she gets a little older then ask him/her if he/she wants to try out karate again.

with age limit, there's muay thai fighters in thailand who started training when they were 5-8, by the time they are 15 they become professional.

Also if you search on the internet you will find videos of kids as young as 4 years old doing amazing martial arts moves.

"never mistake kidness for weakness"