• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How young is TOO young?

TracyLou

If you don't teach them kata then you are NOT teaching them karate..... Sorry.....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no definitive age that is right for everyone. It depends on the sensei, his style of teaching, the ages of others at the club, and most importantly, the mentality of the child.

If your son really has his heart set on it as you say, then it shouldn't hurt to give it a go. Make sure he wants to do it for the right reasons though. I know you can't expect a five year old to take things very seriously, but he should have a desire to learn, not purely just to play around doing kicks and stuff. You don't need to go to a dojo and pay $ just to play around.

Personally, I think for the vast majority of kids, 5 is too young. They simply don't have the maturity to learn MA effectively. I started karate when I was 7, and I think that was too young. I didn't really start learning until I was about 10. But as has been said already, it depends on the child.

Talk to the karate instructor about it and see what he thinks; he's probably more knowledgeable than most of us here.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

• 2 weeks later...

I used to teach kids, but don't anymore. To limited amout of time and space presently, plus I'm more into working with adults because they give me somebody to "play with". :D

I taught kids for many years however, and I have an Elementary Teaching backgroud. What I've found is kids 6-8 (I never took anybody younger than 6) might...or might not..be able to handle martial arts training from a "seriousness" standpoint. Sure, younger kids can "play" karate at any age, but I taught kids the same things (mostly anyway) that I teach adults and didn't use my kids class as a daycare. I would tell the parents that their son/daughter can try it for a couple of weeks, but if at the end of that time I felt they weren't mentally "with it", I would ask the the parents to pull them out of class. I won't waste my time on a kid (or an adult for that matter) that isn't there to learn, and I won't be a babysitter for them either.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If you don't teach them kata then you are NOT teaching them karate..... Sorry.....

I agree. If you're going to teach them your chosen art, then teach them the whole art! Kids can handle learning kata just fine, but it requires more patience from the sensei (trust me, been there, done that!)

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 2 weeks later...
it depends on the instuction some find it difficult because children have a short an attention span so they're training must be mixed with fun

theres no one style just your style---------

I disagree, on principle. Training should 'be' the fun. Putting in opportunities for horseplay encourages inappropriate actions inclass that will eventually lead to injuries. Education doesn't have to be boring, nor should it be. Those that continue their education in one field or another, usually find themselves intrigued by that particular field of study... thus the encouragement.

It is important to present the arts in a palatable fashion, regardless of student age.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

if you can get children under 7-8 to concentrate fo more than 30minutes youve done well then you need to break it up with a little frun and games we have nearly 30 children @ our school and you cant make it seem monotinus or you lose them

theres no one style just your style---------