• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How young is TOO young?

TracyLou

My son is 5 next month and has his heart set on starting Karate (the usual starting age around here seems to be 5). He's had a shot an GKR but that didnt go too well for various reason, probably because he was too young at 4...

Anyway everyone keeps telling me that 5 is too young for him to start Karate and that I should wait until he's at least 7...what do you think? Does anyone here have any first hand experience of such a young child training in Karate and how did he or she do?

Thanks in advance

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some kids get their black belt 9-10 that means they must of train about age of 5, my little brother is 8 and studying karate and enjoys alot, % is not too young but soon he'll get stuck in just don't worry i know that the age of 5 is fit enough to lern.

Somone love one

Somone love two

I love one

That one is myself just have been turn down....

In my opinion, which is obviously out of synch with the SUV driving majority, the youngest one should begin is around tennish. Before that age children possess neither the co-ordination, or the maturity to do the MA.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

if the student is mentally prepared to actually learn the art with out goofing of in class he/she should be fine. I have seen one 5 yr old in my time that was just phenomenal, he had the mind set of a grown man at peace with himself, very very rare yet even some 4 yr olds can be disciplined enough to join, i tell the parents of my students what is expected and if they feel their child is prepared. But i have seen several students at the age of 5

With my children i will teach them at that age as well. I personnally wont teach to anyone 3 or lower. Yet the older you get usually the more disciplined you are, yet some students are ready at that young age, and they should not be stereotyped or discriminated on due solely to their age. That is my two cents.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

It seems that what I was going to say has been said. It depends on the child. At my studio, there are some as young as 5 & 6 who are amazing already, and there are others 15 & 16 who should not be training at all.

If your son is ready, let him start & just keep a watch to make sure he's doing fine. And if it looks like he's having problems, reconsider accordingly.

But if he's really good, don't be upset when you have a 10 year old black belt asking why he can't stay up past 9pm.

there is no age that is too young to train but there is to expect them to learn. Kids can not pick up the mental stuff they need to know. Put him in class all you want but dont let them give him a blackbelt at 8.

IMO kids should not test for rank until they are in their teen years.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I think 5 is a bit young to be starting in martial arts, but it does depend on the physical and mental maturity of the kid.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

But I wouldn't try teaching a 5 year old kata....

Nothing wrong teaching a 5 year old a kata. Most katas at the beginning levels are pretty basic and straight forward.

My opinion is 5-7 in age is a good time to start your child out in martial arts. Like aefibird said alot has to do with the maturity level of the child. Age 7 or older would be the optimum due to the fact that they can comprehend more, but they are still children even at that age.

I started my son at 5, and he's still going strong. He's 6 now going on 7, and from what I've seen he did not have any problems starting at 5. As for his katas, they were never a problem for him to pick up. I've learned to not have high expectations of him as well during his training. I just let him have fun at it, and as he gets older will understand the meaning behind his training.

If your son has a strong desire to train, let him. Make sure the place you take him has a good kids program, and at a minimum make sure he understands it's a place of "fun" learning :brow:

Good Luck :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia