• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Poll: why did you start in the martial arts?

Why did you start in the martial arts?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Why did you start in the martial arts?

• Looking for a way to keep fit
    • Wanted to learn how to protect myself
    • Wanted to learn how to thrash on people
    • My parents made me do it!
    • I wanted to kick and punch like (insert favorite martial artist here)
    • I had a "free class" coupon I cut out of a newspaper.
    • Other (explain below)

Did your dojo do much in the way of kata applications training? None of the Shoto schools I have trained at did before the least three or four years.

No, my dojo was quite sport-oriented. Very little of the 'real' bunkai were tought to us. We just got these crappy applications for use in competitions. It wasn't until after I got my shodan and started going on lots of courses that I learnt some real kata applications; and I was surprised how many of them are really 'close in' techniques rather than the distanced punching and kicking you do in competition.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been interested in the MA. Sure, I was a kung fu theatre junkie and Bruce Lee was my hero when I was a small boy, but honestly, I have always wanted to know the "art" side of things also. I know a lot of people that want the self-defense type of training, and nothing is wrong with that, but I want to know where it came from, why it's here, and where it's going. I really want to be someone who is in the Martial Arts and not just "taking Karate".

Cheers!

IronZ

Hmm... two threads on pretty much the same topic?

Well, i already posted on the other thread but i must say that i 'intentionally' avoided watching any Bruce Lee stuff until i was in my late 20's. I didn't want to be thought of as 'yet another' Bruce Lee wannabe.

Oddly enough, i found that when i was around 11, i had watched all the Green Hornet clips at the library in Los Angeles, just to watch this Kato guy kick things around. I was clueless as to who he was, but did enjoy those fancy moves.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I was too young to appreciate the "art" side of shotokan, as I was 6 when I starting training. My friend started so I went along and have trained non-stop for 13 years.

Learning to protect myself was the option I chose on the vote as I think this was my earliest motivation

CHRISYAMA!

Most of the stated reasons. I wanted to keep fit, learn to defend myself, my dad was going to attend with me (and still does, but only attends one lesson a week still) and of course I wanted to learn to fight like Bruce Lee. Who wouldn't?

World famour for idiotography

6th Kyu Wado Ryu

5th Gup Tang Soo Do

1st Dan Origami

I don't really know why I started, I just thought 'Yeah, Why not? that looks cool' and I've never looked back! :D

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson