• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is boxing more of a sport or martial art? Tae kwon do is?

Delta 1,

I wish to agree with you regarding TKD as a fighting art!

Every dojang has a certain concentrated direction of study (self defense or sport)...Likewise, different organizations have different ideology regarding course of study. Original Taekwon-Do was not a sport it was a fighting art! Taekwon-Do was around almost two decades before the WTF came about; Furthermore, it was many years later that TKD became a sport!

The Oh Do Kwan/ITF system practices joint destruction, eye gouges, ect...also, self defense and breaking (power) demonstrations are required for promotion well before the black belt level. Keep in mind that what you visualize at your local Mc Dojang is quite possibly what Gen. Choi Hong Hi refered to as bastardized Taekwon-Do!

TAEKWON!

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TKD is a sport. Especially now the WTF has had it way.

It is still a Martial art, and it all depends on the school as to which is taught. If it's a WTF school, it is a sport.

Boxing is a sport, but also a Martial art. People train mainly for competion fighting, but the hand techniques and speed of boxing do make it effect for defense.

Akima,

TKD is NOT a sport! Sport TKD or Olympic TKD is sport but not all TKD is sport oriented and that is not a thing of the past! Traditional Taekwon-Do is not far away in the hills of Korea in millions of years past. It is alive and well in those that practice it. Furthermore, it is readily available for those who might open their eyes and search!

Sir, why do you spend such time speaking with contempt for Taekwon-Do...you could be training something other than your propaganda muscles!

P.S. I read the reply on the "Is TKD the same as Karate"...I gave the rest of the story to allow one to fairly reason their own opinions of "politics"...as opposed to your attempted spread of propoganda!

TAEKWON!

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

Any sport when applied to competition and tournaments becomes a sport...

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

Both sports that can be used in real fights. One takes less risks than the other.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Treebranch,

TKD is a combat art that has been modified to provide a sports venue! Judo as well is only a modified form of a combat art! However, when the olympic styles (WTF/USTU) sprang up with their "way" of doing things they did not have the respect to change the name from Taekwon-Do to something else...Kano did and this is why Judo does not take away from the original arts combat history!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

TAEKWON!

TKD is a Combat Art and I see on other Martial Arts forums, that there are a lot of TKD bashing like just because it has a competitive side like a sport/competition side that people think TKD is ineffective but I think TKD is very effective due to the agility and speed of the kicks and so TKD is a Combat Art but there's a competition side.

Hwa rang do is the Combat MA that TKD came from. I've studied TKD and now I study Combat MA's and they have nothing in commong. If you try those high kicks and high speed in battle you will tire fast and be killed. Combat MA's the good one's teach you that you don't have to use all that energy in order to defeat someone. Study other MA's before you judge the one you are in. I used to do TKD so I feel I can give a fairly educated opinion.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I have also done several arts and to be quite honest i dont expend all that much energy doing my techniques in TKD...they do however hit hard. And of course how much energy does it take to break someones kneecap with a side kick. Full contact is full contact no matter what art you take...TKD or "combat" MA. TKD did NOT come from Hwa Rang Do. That is the most absurd statement I've seen yet. If you look at traditional TKD and TSD it is obviously very closely related to shotokan karate. Hwa Rang Do is closer to a Korean version of Kung Fu.

Long Live the Fighters!