• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is boxing more of a sport or martial art? Tae kwon do is?

It seems to me, everyone classifys boxing as a sport. Couldn't it also easily be classified as the American martial art?

I bring this topic up because I believe boxing can be compared to tae kwon do. You use your hands in boxing your feet in Tae kwon do.

So why do people then have trouble defining what tae kwon do is, but can easily define boxing?

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do people then have trouble defining what tae kwon do is, but can easily define boxing?

Koreantiger81,

I think boxing is easily classified, as it has a long history of amatuer and professional matches that where considered "sport." I boxed as a teenager, and the focus was always on beating the opponenet in the ring. Not once did we talk about taking out a mugger, and perhaps this focus helps to create the defining line.

That being said, I have used boxing and judo techniques in self-defense situations effectively, and I consider them both combat systems. However they are incomplete as they are geared towards sport.

I can not comment on TKD, as I have never studied it.

But boxing is 100% focussed on getting into the ring and fighting (sport).

Taekwondo isn't 100% focussed on sparring!!! maybe kickboxing?!

Bretty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ignorance is bliss"

Well... To tell the truth man, boxing is a sport. However, if can be street effective if you train in that direction. however i just am say, hey... if you want to do boxing, go for it. however, boxing is primarily a sport, however, you can get in to boxing as a way of SD. anyways, i hope this helps. thanks see ya.

IF i got a buck For every person who calls TKD more a sport than an art, I would be rich.

TKD is a martial art just as much as it is a sport. In the dojang (school) the focus is on many of the old philosphies, at torunmanets TKD and any other form of martial art becomes a sport!

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

there is more than just tournament based TKD, sorry to burst your bubble, but some schools, and the majority of the TKD schools now adays do solely teach tournament based style, which i would say is more of a sport than an art, yet, there are more things to it over all in the big picture of things, i am a person that used to say boxing was a sport, yet have slowly grown to say that it is a martial art, maybe not in the sense that we are all familiar with but a martial art none the less, yet still a sport. Martial arts in all actuallity is a way of life, and can be applied to all things in life, so keep that in mind. If you go to the core countries you will see that many different arts are tied in to martial arts, not just fighting based things. For example, i am currently living in japan, here they combine flower arranging, tea ceremonies and musical instruments into their martial arts learnings. So please, open the mind and try to encompass the broad picture of life and what martial arts means to us personally not just what or how it is interpretted by society.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Let's delve into what people think the definition of a MARTIAL ART is, shall we?? Boxing is a SPORT. I answer that with confidence, since a martial art is an art form that is practiced and established in the MARTIAL way. The martial way is a warrior way of living. The terminology is meant to imply that one lives as a warrior, with honor and self-respect. It means that you learn about self-respect, self-discipline, and control. This is achieved in some dojos by meditation, learning the language of the style you have taken, and training with others you consider friends. You learn to treat others with the same respect you expect to receive in return. But if someone threatens your peaceful way of existence, they better be prepared for a can of whoop * to be promptly opened. Martial arts teach a warrior code, a way that one can have peace with oneself while also being a hidden warrior. A sport deals simply with the technique, delivery, and exercise. The mental aspect of a sport is developed as a RESULT of the training and sport, not TAUGHT to the practicioner. In other words, a boxer or hockey player is not taught that he needs self-discipline or respect before undertaking his sport. Anyone can put on a pair of gloves and go to the gym 7 days a week and work on the medicine ball, speed bag, spar, etc. or pick up the stick, learn to skate and shoot a puck. MARTIAL arts are a much deeper PHILOSOPHY if you will. TKD is NOT A SPORT. IT IS A FRIGGIN MARTIAL ART. It has roots deep in ancient history and teaches a philosophy. Boxing, although it has a lush history, may be considered an fighting art form, but it is in no way MARTIAL. I found this link; it is very interesting...read it.

http://home.stny.rr.com/iama/whatis.html

Mixed Martial Artist

It seems to me, everyone classifys boxing as a sport. Couldn't it also easily be classified as the American martial art? I bring this topic up because I believe boxing can be compared to tae kwon do. You use your hands in boxing your feet in Tae kwon do.

TKD uses hands, and other natural weapons as well. As for whether it's more martial art or martial sport, that depends on how you train it. Classic boxing is a martial sport. But I wouldn't take them for granted on the street. And they may not be trained to kick, but they know they have feet.

Because we all have our own conception (or misconception) of other arts. We also like to neatly pidgeon hole everything based on our own opinion. Then, when presented with a contradictory bit of evidence, we have to fight like heck to keep our ideas in their slot. Truth really sucks when it doesn't support my prejudices! Probably the same with most people.

Freedom isn't free!