• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Went to a Kenpo school to watch a class last night

Triad

And I must say I was pretty impressed.

The only background I have in MA is in Shotokan and watching the stances, techniques and so forth it looks like its way different than what I have been doing. In a good way though.

My question to you folks that practice American Kenpo:

Is AK just the techniques or do they teach different strikes, kicks, joint locks outside of what you see inside the specific techs?

Is there Kata? And the way the instuctor was teaching was geared more toward real life situations, so is this a tournement friendly style?

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The main difference in AK is it has flow. No wasted motion, every move does something to the opponent. Why just rechamber after a strike when you can hurt him again on the way out? AK also teaches theory and principles like no other art I know of (and I've worked with a lot of different styles). It is pretty impressive.

Is AK just the techniques or do they teach different strikes, kicks, joint locks outside of what you see inside the specific techs?Is there Kata?

The techniques are the vehicle AK uses to teach you to move and to apply the principles. Techniques are based on self defense situations. There are also freestyle techniques, which are offensive moves. Our Katas are called forms, and there are several. There are also several practice sets. AK also has the most complete arsenal of strikes and kicks I've seen. It does teach joint locks, and defenses against them.

And the way the instuctor was teaching was geared more toward real life situations, so is this a tournement friendly style?

AK is a reality based art. It was developed for real life self defense, but it also does well for tournaments, if that is your thing. SGM Ed Parker was one of the earliest promoters of tournaments (I believe his Nationals was the first of it's kind in the US), and he promoted respect and sharing ideas across all systems. It was Mr. Parker who introduced Bruce Lee at the Nationals when he was still an unknown here. One of the big differences in AK and many other styles is that it will take you where you are and build on your knowlege. A lot of styles tell you to throw out everything you know and do it their way. AK asks you to come in with an open mind, retain what you know and build on to that.

If you are thinking of trying it, I bet you'll like it. It's not for everybody, but most who stay with the martial arts and try AK love it.

Freedom isn't free!

Well I went back tonight and he let me sit in on a class, and accually participate. There was a Green belt, blue belt and a purple, and while they practiced their techniques the instructor pulled me to the side and showed me some of the basics like Delayed Sword and Sword of Destruction.

It was pretty decent.

Thought I would do a follow up.

Those are good beggining techniques. Right now, they probably feel kind of awkward and jerky. But as you get better, they'll start to flow and things will really start feel right. There are a lot of good principles in those two techniques as well. Did he get into principles with you?

The first time my Instructor showed Delayed Sword to me, he hooked the block and it pulled me in so hard my head flew back and every vertebrae in my neck popped!

Some of the yellow techniques won't seem like they would work at first. The two you learned are pretty obviouse that they would work. But there is a rear bear hug technique, Captured Twigs, that I'll bet you question. I've used it though, and I don't know who was more surprised that it worked- me or him. Another is Deflecting Hammer, defense against a right front kick to the abdomen. I used to dislike it, but now it is one of my favorite techniques. The difference is that as you learn to move better, and you go back and rework these techniques, things start to flow and come together. It only gets better as you go.

Freedom isn't free!

It's nice that the instructor taught you something instead of trying to just sign you up. So far you have given a good impression of the school. I agree with Delta1 as Kenpo/Kempo definitely has flow and efficiency. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Are you really impressed on kenpo style? are you going to sign up and be a member of the club?

I think I might sit though one more class.

The instructor does an introductory period, for 30 bucks you get a months worth of classes at 2 classes a week, at the end of the probation the instructor will evaluate you as a martial artist - things like focus and memory and respect - and then decide if he wants to accept you as a student.

I was really suprised I got to go onto the floor with them and he took the time to accually show me the techniques and the principals of circular motion/ and the how/why it works.

I am pretty impressed.

The instructor does an introductory period, for 30 bucks you get a months worth of classes at 2 classes a week, at the end of the probation the instructor will evaluate you as a martial artist - things like focus and memory and respect - and then decide if he wants to accept you as a student. I was really suprised I got to go onto the floor with them and he took the time to accually show me the techniques and the principals of circular motion/ and the how/why it works.

Sounds like you've found yourself a good instructor! A lot of people are surprised to find out I had to interview, including mat time, to be accepted into my Kenpo school. Not the typical 'pay up, show up, grade up' attitude that is so prevalent in martial arts today. And AK is a principles based system. Good instructors, like this guy appears to be, get you on to learning not just the mechanics but also the principles right off. Any way, enjoy your introductory classes.

Freedom isn't free!