• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate styles

martialartsresearcher

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There are quite big differences in the four main styles of Karate, like Kyokushin and Shotokan, the first is based on power and body conditioning and the other a more lighter karate style, that favours some of the traditional ways, I'd say Shotokan was the closest style to TKD and Kyokushin, I'm not too sure, it has a large body conditioning aspect that could reflect some of the "external" Kung fu styles. But i'm no expert those are simply my observations.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Actually, I would place Kyokushin closer to TKD in its emphasis on artificial rules for sparring, i.e. no hands to the head, and its disdain for kata. One look at the way Oyama modified the Kata shows he didn't "get it," and that to him, Karate was all kicking and punching.

I would agree with Kumite 988 that the original Okinawan styles were "complete" arts, and I would venture to put Shito into the same category, depending on one's instructor. Certainly it is as taught by Minakami sensei in Seattle. Wado also has the potential to be a "complete art" depending on how it is taught. The Wado Ryu Renmei organization tends to do so, in my opinion, whereas Wado Kai does not. Once again teh disclaimer, I'm a Wado Kai person.

Goju definately is a "complete system," although again this depends on the teacher. Shotokan,though I love how dynamic it is, is not, and is not even really a fighting style as taught by most instructors.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I think what ever style u do there wont be much of a grappling side of it. Oh, and a question are there any styles of Karate (except traditional) that trains with weapons?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

tbh i didnt know traditional karate fought with weapons, i know that the name has been translated to empty hand from chinese hand, but the fact that its empty hand doesnt that mean that like u dont do weapons?

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes

'Empty hand' doesn't always mean literally empty - it is supposed to signify the clearing of the mind and body in preperation for training. It also signifies 'empty of any evil intent'.

There are many karate clubs that incorporate weapons training, especially traditional Okinawan style clubs. However, a lot of clubs do borrow weapons and aspects from other styles too. For example, there are Shotokan clubs that train with kobudo weaponary, even though Shotokan is not a traditional weapons-based system.

As for the grapplig, there is a lot of that in karate. It just depends on your instructor as to how much you do. Karate isn't just about kicking and punching, but sometimes the other aspects of it have to be 'looked for'.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!