• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks in combo with punches

In general when I am sparring, I find it kind of unatural to throw a kick after a reverse punch. For that matter to throw a revers punch after a kick.

I am constantly being told to do combos in sparring matches but other than a grounded punch, reverse punch or to squeek a front kick in then punch, reverse punch they just don't flow correctly.

Is this just a function of my flexibility or is this a learning issue?

So far none of the Kata I have learned helps with the muscle memory of what I should be doing.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You don't necessarily need to do it in a kata to get it into your muscle memory. Just play around with different block/kick/punch combinations until you find some that are comfortable and just keep doing them over and over.

Generally, the reverse punch works great as you're landing with the kick, b/c that's when you're very vunerable & off-balance, and the reverse punch keeps people back.

Ahhhhhhh Grasshopper...give it time and it will come. :karate:

I don't recall how long you've said you have been practicing, but keep tyring different things. It will begin to flow eventually, and get to the point you won't think about what you are doing..it just happens.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

aes,

work ur combos like ur shadow boxing. do something like a back knuckle, reverse punch, front kick w/rear leg, round kick w/other leg, back knuckle, reverse punch. then as you get the flow, think defense :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I don't recall how long you've said you have been practicing, but keep tyring different things. It will begin to flow eventually, and get to the point you won't think about what you are doing..it just happens.

Good point. In our dojo we only do sparring once a week, while I have Kata classes 3 or more times a week, plus I practice on my own.

I need to add some sparring practise in between classes. I have a heavy bag that I used to do some extra practise on but with winter here my garage cannot be used right now and the rest of my house is too crowded. I am going to do some more thinking about where and how I can fit in some shadow boxing to work on the combos.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

use instinct...

if you havent learned it, doesnt mean, your body has no idea what its doing...

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

• 4 weeks later...

let me give you some combos if this helps, left punch, right punch, push kick.

Block hand punch.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro