• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many TMA guys cross train on here.

Curious how many TMA guys cross train on here? I started out in Shaolin Kempo went dabbled in some Ed Parker Kenpo did some kick boxing that was offered at my gym. Did some BJJ at my gym then also Haktusuru (White Crane) with instructor friend of mine (not associated with the school I go to) As well as switched BJJ instructors to one that was more trained.

Who else cross trains on here who are TMA guys?

-Jeff

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't crosstrain at all with another system because the system I do, I feel anyway, is as complete as I need for what I expect out of a martial art.

Now, if I was interested in tournament fighting, I might be inclined to crosstrain in Parkers Kenpo perhaps. If I was interested in Hollywood gymnastics, such as flying kicks and head kicks..then I'd probably do TKD perhaps. If I was interested in K1 or full contact competition, I'd probably crosstrain in BJJ and boxing.

But since I'm not into those types of things, but rather effective self-defense, I feel what I am doing satisfies my needs quite nicely, and has for 29 years now. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I'm pretty much of a "purist" at heart and feel that if you're going to study an art, then study THAT art fully before you go and start mixing things up and changing it like so many people are doing now days. What I'm afraid will happen eventually, is that most arts will be so bastardized that they will be lost.

If you feel the art you are in is weak in some area that you think it needs, then you'd better start shopping for something else. My opinion anyway.

However, if you're limited as to what arts are available to you, or like I said, you are seeking the best training for a particular sport..then by all means, crosstrain.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

...if I was interested in tournament fighting, I might be inclined to crosstrain in Parkers Kenpo perhaps.
EPAK (Ed Parkers American Kenpo) is primarily a self defense art. But some of our schools do pretty well in tournaments. Some of the ones in Spokane and Idaho train for UFC type matches. A lot of AK schools will prep students who want to go to regular (tag) tournaments, then aftrwards they go through a 'deprograming' period of instruction to get their focus back on the street. I've heard of schools that do just tournament stuff, but never first hand. I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

However, if you're limited as to what arts are available to you...
That's my situation. Around here, there's TKD and..., more TKD. So I train Kenpo when and where I can, and I work out with other stylists when ever and wherever I can, and I just joined a TKD school here. Fortunately, they are very non-traditional/self defence oriented. Nothing against traditional TKD, I just prefer this approach. They also teach Modern Arnis, and they have some joint locks and ground fighting. And the head of their system also had some AK (he's an old friend of the #2 in my AK association). So there is some AK influence in their system, and they allow me some leeway in my interpretations of their moves.

I also do Taiji, which not only will improve your performance in any other art, it's a good stand alone art in it's own right. But it does take a long time to get proficient at it. I know I frustrate my instructor because, whenever I get stumped (which is usually the case), I revert to Kenpo and finish him off.

Everyone's needs are different, everyone's path is different. I say, if we are getting what we want, or at least the best we can, go for it.

Freedom isn't free!

Delta1 good post. I absolutely agree with you at the end of your post if your getting want then go for it.

Shorinryu Sensei I respect your post. Thats fine for you. I prefer to cross train. If some one is into a style and thats all they ever want to learn great. Me I prefer to cross train I can careless about styles If I see some one who can throw good I am going to study with them. If I see some one who has good striking I am going to study with them. If some one has a lot of knowledge for concepts that help me cordinate and use my body better in application great I will study with them.

On that note. Since you do Matsumura Shorin-Ryu. You heard of Anthony Sandoval.

-Jeff

On that note. Since you do Matsumura Shorin-Ryu. You heard of Anthony Sandoval.

-Jeff

Yes, I think so. Is he out of Seattle? Where I'm located at, I don't get out much and don't have a lot of opportunity to train with others, and there are many different offshoots to Matsumura Seito.

In goju ryu you are told it is to your benefit to cross train in arts such as judo and Iaido. If you look at all the high ranking sensei they usually have senior dan rank in judo. I plan to do the same

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro