• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring: Full-Contact vs. Not Full Contact

cathal

If you really go for the full contact aspect do you find it really improves your training? What do you think are the "take-home" learning points of full contact and non-full contact, for your style?

I imagine there are a lot of varying opinions on this based on experience, style of MA, etc. and I am interested in hearing and discussing them.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even in full contact dojo's full contact is the used all the time. If you did, class would be once a month due to injury....

Full contact karate has to be experianced by you, for you to know how it affects your training.

i think semi-contact helps training better than full contact as its got so much more emphasis an control, for example anyone with the flexibility can do a reverse hook kick to the head and follow through as you would in full contact, but it takes so much more control just to tap them on the head and bring your leg back down (incidently, no i cant do this :bawling: )

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes

Training light contact or even 3 step drills is a great way to practice technique, but there's no substitute for full contact. If you ever really need to defend yourself, you better be able to take a full power hit and respond in kind. By the way, we pretty much always do full contact. (Depending on your opponent, of course.)

The biggest problem I have found with full-contact is that you normally have to wear boxing gloves, and these just get in the way of everything!

I personally prefer semi-contact as then you can send in the attack with speed and make contact while controlling the actually hitting power; and the mits you wear give you the better freedom.

I don't think it should be a case of "full contact vs not full contact", but rather full-contact, semi-contact etc should all be used together to help with fight/sparring training. For example, full-contact fighting will really help you to know what a full power kick feels like, but semi-contact will help to develop control and distancing. Light / no contact can help develop techniques and is useful (IMO) for helping people to learn what techniques will and won't 'work'. Mixing different types of sparring is a good thing I think.

Plus, doing full-contact all the time means you get to spend a lot of time with your first-aid kit!!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

So a healty mix of no contact, partial contact, and full contact is what seems to be the general response. My dojo, however, does not and will not do full contact. This is one of the reasons why I am interested in learning more about it.

Which one do you think offers us more control? No contact?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I teach shotokan and we spar full contact (or about as close as you can get). We have boxing gloves and make use of them often. If your not wearing boxing gloves, you can't hit to the head with your heads. Kyokushin rules for those without gloves. It changes the way you use your shotokan basic's for sure.