• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fairly complex question you ask with lots of opinions. Here is a little oof the site 24fightingchickens.

"On Okinawa, there are several styles, but the best known are Goju-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, and Isshin-Ryu. Goju-Ryu on Okinawa is very much like the Japanese namesake. Shorin-Ryu, which comes in three flavors including Matsubayashi, Shobayashi, and Kobayashi, is the style most like Shotokan. Isshin-Ryu and Uechi-Ryu are Okinawan styles that are similar to Goju-Ryu in many respects, but emphasize a vertical punch and open-handed techniques respectively."

This link compares several styles and gives a little history. You may want to check it out.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/101/02_karate.html

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Shorin ryu and Goju ryu are 2 of the main styles on Okinawa. Shorin ryu being more straight foward and more upright stances. Shorin ryu comes form the Shuri te style of early okinawan karate it also has influences from Tomori te. Naha te uses deep breathing and cresent like stepping as well as alot of close in fighting. The styels influenced by Naha te are styles like Goju ryu, Uechi ryu, and Shito ryu. hope this helps.

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

Shorin-Ryu, which comes in three flavors including Matsubayashi, Shobayashi, and Kobayashi, is the style most like Shotokan. l

Just a quick comment on this. There is a local Shotokan class in this area that I've worked with a couple of times, and watched maybe 10-12 times, and I've not seen many simularities between the two systems. Stances, blocks, hip movements, etc are all "wrong" in accordance to what I have learned and been teaching for the past 29 years.

On the topic, per my nick, I teach Shorinryu Matsumara Seito/Orthodox (old system) of karate and wish I could make some comparisons for you, but to my knowledge, I've never seen a Goju class that I could make a comparison from.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Perhaps Rob meant "most like Shotokan" in the sense that the kata are similar in name and (give or take) sequence.

Performance is a different story.

True. I've watched their kata and done mine alongside theirs so that they could see the differances. Similar in a very general way, but different in so many aspects.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Shotokan is closer to Kobayashi Shorin ryu, than Matsubayashi, Seibukan, or Matsumura Seito. There is a danger in lumping all Shorin ryu styles together and thinking they are all similar. There is as much variation in technique and emphasis in the "Shorin " family as there is in the "Naha" family (think of the differences between Goju ryu, Ryuei ryu, Uechi ryu, To'on ryu, etc...).

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!