• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hand on waist

aznkarateboi

The full chamber has a couple of rationales behind it.

-To train the student to use hip rotation when doing techniqes, therefore using his entire body, rather than just his arm.

-The hikite can be thought of as pulling the oppponent into the karateka.

-In some techniques, like the final two techniques of Pinan Sandan, the hikite is perfoming an elbow strike.

-Alternately (in the same kata) the hikite represents the hand on the opponent's collar during a throw.

So the short answer is that there is no short answer.

:D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It's a matter of discipline... to yourself and the art. Doing a full chamber adds crispness and definition to your movements. Also falls along the Yin/Yang philosophy... opposite actions... one hand moves out - one back.

-Sam Riney-

WTF Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do

Piasa Martial Arts - Alton, IL

White Belt in Kobudo

GMAP - Springfield, IL

Better not chamber in real sparring (As opposed to point or tournament style) you'll get your clock cleaned :) I would suggest hands close to temples, elbows tucked in to protect the body blows. Of course, I suppose it depends on how hard your dojo spars?

It's a matter of discipline... to yourself and the art. Doing a full chamber adds crispness and definition to your movements. Also falls along the Yin/Yang philosophy... opposite actions... one hand moves out - one back.

Please keep on doing that so your opponent can win easier!

The explanation of equaninimus and the question of aznkarateboi say it all; there is no other use of hikite in sparring. So don't use a full chamber while sparring.

It has nothing to do with the things sriney is talking about. If you are sparring in competition all you want to do is to win. You show discipline by not beating the ... out of your opponent; not by using hikite. The crispness and definition you work on in kihon and kata. And the Yin/Yang thing..... :roll: :bawling: :brow: :lol:

René

Please keep on doing that so your opponent can win easier!

It has nothing to do with the things sriney is talking about. If you are sparring in competition all you want to do is to win. You show discipline by not beating the ... out of your opponent; not by using hikite. The crispness and definition you work on in kihon and kata. And the Yin/Yang thing..... :roll: :bawling: :brow: :lol:

FYI, this explanation was in reply to the inquiry of why to teach this at all in the first place. If you'll read my previous post in the thread, you will see that I came out adamantly against the concept of chambering in application of technique. I then went on to say that it was taught for kata and practice of the discipline. The question came up after that of why to teach it at all since it caused confusion. Hence, my explanation.

-Sam Riney-

WTF Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do

Piasa Martial Arts - Alton, IL

White Belt in Kobudo

GMAP - Springfield, IL