• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Steven Seagal's coordination?

I mean, you can be the most well-trained street fighter in the world and suck onscreen, and if you're not gonna entertain the audience onscreen, why are you exactly doing movies in the first place?

Umm... for the money.

Entertainment is a 'means' to an end, not the end in and of itself. As long as his movies sell tickets, videos are being purchased, and stations are paying for reruns, there's money in it.

Seagal sells tickets, bottom line.

I can accept this. But I guess my point is that martial arts movie stars are not and should not be judged to the same caliber as like...professional street fighters or by real-life application and self-defense standards. As entertainers, they should be judged on their ability to...entertain. I know Jet Li would get his * kicked in real life by many people who actually study practical combat training and not flowery modern wushu forms despite his excellent physical condition and training. However, that's not the point, which seems to have escaped many individuals when they rate or talk about people like Van Damme (ok bad example :lol: ), Jackie Chan, etc. And maybe it's just me (and the opinions of many other people, whether they be martial arts enthusiasts or not) that I think that Seagal's movies suck big time (ever seen Fire Down Below?), though obviously since he's still selling tickets, there are those who think he's great and/or decent. ^^

He's not too bad an actor either, although definitely one-dimensional. As to being a lousy person, i've heard rumors from unscrupulous snooty sorts in the movie industry, and comments from a woman scriptwriter i know in Hollywood that says he's a 'typical' Japanese guy.

Dude what? I realize that these are action stars, therefore we can't really hold them to the same standard as say...Dustin Hoffman or Meryl Streep, but when you say "he's not too bad an actor", you mean in that he actually opens his mouth and has more than a single facial expression? Oh by the way, I don't mean to be come across as condescending, hehe. It's just that my friend and I used to rank on Seagal's complete lack of acting proficiency so I just find it really funny. It's not meant to insult your intelligence.

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is "Fire Down Below" the one where he referred to Alaska as a third world country? :roll:

Mad TV did a wonderful parody of him a few years back.

It was the one with Ja Rule and Seagal went into prison undercover to snuff out his gang or something like that. Horrible film all around, not really worth remembering. :karate:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

• 2 weeks later...

He's acting is pretty damn bad, but I thought Under seige was an OK film.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

no guys fire down below is the film where this firm puts toxic waist in a mine. i found the movie quite good. i like steven seagals aikido skills. if every teacher would teach aikido the way mr. seagal does, then aikido would be considerd one of the best martial arts.

Be everything. Be nothing.

jet li, segal , norris, and van damme are all fakes its sad they try to look like gods in front of the screen to convince you that they can actually fight, its terrible that these pinheads con people into believing it you must face facts

jet cant punch without a wire attached to him, and couldnt survive a real fight if he tried especailly that film cradle to the grave where he fought like 15 ufc fighters, give me a break thats like saying that ernie reyes could take mike tyson, maybe once in a blue moon

segal is out of shape, biggest fake in the martial arts business, and cons people by spreding rumors that he works for the mob and does secret government missions, he is the biggest martial arts con man since frank dux.

chuck norris is just a joke, he couldnt fight if his life depended on it, my brother could take norris

van damme only oppenents he could win against are the ones in his imagaination when he is on coke, hes an idiot period

david carridene is a discrace to the martial arts, i cant beleive they put him as the lead for kung fu instead if bruce lee who wrote the script, its sad hollywood doesnt have the guts to put real martial artist into films when will they ever learn, jackie chan cant do it al by himself, hes not getting any younger, almost seems hopeless if you think about it. real martial artists would have real fights in their movies instead they look like fights in the video games i play unrealistic beyond belief, i am merely stating facts that real martial artsists and not wannabes would know, it isnt the land of oz, od dragon ball z, this is earth the real world, come back to reality the stuff these people do in these films could never happen in real life, its time that the martial arts film genere gets a reality check and stop puffing the magic dragon for once

ladies email me for some fun