• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY KIDS

Hi, new instructor - need game ideas for 1 hour long class. The kids will be 4-7 and I would like to teach some basics and ettiquette stuff but also really get them moving and having tons of fun. Anyone who is really experienced in this would be a life saver with some good ideas. Thanks.

(for all of you who replied on old thread - thanks :D . I just wanted to catch the eyes of more people with a new thread!)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An hour? For 4-7 year olds??? Good luck. :uhoh:

You can teach them things like bowing, fire drills are always a good idea first thing, stranger danger. Teach them a kick or two (just kicking at air or a bag...make sure you have a talk with them afterwards about only using their martial arts in class). The rest of the class time, you want to try and wear them out...their parents will love you for it :)

Have them run laps, then skip laps, then do jumping jacks around the room, cartwheel contests (teach them how to do one if they don't know how), somersaults, walking like different animals such as dogs, monkeys, ducks, etc, (you can tell them that's the first step to Kung Fu mastery or something), anything to wear them out. Relays, coordination drills, endurance & stamina drills, jumping drills, running drills, anything and everything that isn't violent or dangerous.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Hi, Give them so tasty sweeties and let them play a game of folding their eyes and using their sense to touch other student.

Let them played with some equipment etc.

From a student that enjoys practicing with instructors.

Somone love one

Somone love two

I love one

That one is myself just have been turn down....

What ever you do....DONT ask a large group of 4-7 year olds what they want to do. They will go crazy. Instead give them "choices." They can pick this or that....always keep control and never turn you back. Do alot of talking. That said, Go out and buy a long jump rope, tie it to a rail and have each kid take turns...Builds coordination and leg strength. Have the older kids "jump in"

Oh, sorry then yeah I'd guess you're right most kids around that age spent most of their time in their dojang asking can i go to the toilet and mucking about lessons and having jokes and really don't understand what the purpose they're doing.

Somone love one

Somone love two

I love one

That one is myself just have been turn down....

it's like tag...

but they use a shinai. (bamboo sword)

:)

Hmmm...

4-7 year olds...

with sticks...

chasing each other...

:o

Try "ninja freeze"

It's like red light, green light. The kids stand in a row at the "starting line". You're standing at the "finish line". Turn your back to them...while your back is turned, they can run towards you. Then you count "1...2...3...NINJA FREEZE!" on ninja freeze, you turn around. If anyone moves/loses/balance/giggles, that one has to start all over again. Keep doing this until someone manages to tag you.

As the kids get better at the drill, you can start turning around and shouting ninja freeze without the "1 2 3" warning. Eventually you can turn around without saying anything at all. It's good for reaction time and focus.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.