• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What 2 do when they grab ur leg!?

Rich_2k3

Well I doubt many people are strong enough or would react in such a way as to be able to grab you with one hand, so figuring they have grabbed you just after impact with both hands that leaves one of too choices IMHO because you would have thrown the roundhouse from distance and be shin-facing your oponent.

This makes it extremely difficult to quickly get close so I think you have one of two options depending upon your size and speed.

1) As already mentioned, leap up with the supporting leg and knee to the head or hook kick

2) Since you are already in half a scissor kick go the full way and sweep to the ankle of the opponent twisting your hips and grabbing your opponents head or clothing pulling them in the direction your trapped shin was facing and downwards.

I prefer #2 since I am 200 LBs and can low kick pretty strong so both my weight and power would make this relatively easy.

You also have to take into account that anyone grabbing your leg isn't going to be hanging around to wait for you to do something :)

ET

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, you shouldn't be using a kick that you're not proficient in. A proper round house will not be caught with a proper stance and good crisp snap back...

1. He didn't say he wasn't proficient, he said that he happened to throw a bad one. It happens.

2. the snap version of the kick lacks serious power.

3. the snap kick can indeed be caught. Don't think about me catching your instep - that's not what I want. When you kick, I step either into you, or to your inside, away from the kick. If you use a follow through roundhouse, like muay thai does, move away from the kick. For the snapping kick, move in. When I close on you, I am too close to you - the force of the kick is weakened the further back from the instep or shin that you are hit, as you are inside it's arc of force. Once you are inside, catch the leg at the thigh - the thigh is less mobile and easier to catch than the instep.

Solution: Since your foot is already pivoted from the round house, quickly shift to a back kick to get out of this situation.

If I have your foot trapped against my side, how are you going to back kick me? I would bend the leg. The would allow me to get close enough to follow up with hand strikes.

I find most snap type kicks although fast lack the power it takes to drop a person. Note the devastating Mauy Thai version does not snap.

agreed.

" A knee to his head, he is already supporting some of your weight spring of your base leg and as your going up clinch and knee him in the jaw. It works perfectly."

Actually, it's been working in fights for years...

I think this looks pretty in training , try it elsewhere you are getting hurt bad. His other arm is free and will block the knee and he will slam you down on your back and head.

Is there anyone here who does counter-leg grabbing in their dojo?

Can you describe what you mean by "countre-leg grabbing"?

...someone made the comment about a roundhouse couldnt be grabbed,...if the guys strong enough, then a badly performed kick may prove nasty.

A full force, properly thrown roundhouse to your midsection from anyone can be traped. Step back away from the kick with your trailing leg and you can take the kick on either a universal block that rolls to a trap, or simply let it come into the gut and make a 'basket' with your arms. Or you can circle the rear arm up to bind the leg between your forearm and bicep. What makes this work is the mechanical properties of the kick. It has max power at about 80% of its arc. After that, it starts loosing power rapidly. Step away and you deminish the effects of the kick greatly. In fact, step far enough and you don't even need to block as it won't even make contact. 'Course, it's hard to trap then too. Now, I'm sure someone out there is about to tell me this won't work. I've stood with my arms behind my back and let TKDers (known kickers) unload full force on me. It worked for me, and now it also works for them.

Exactly what I said... If I had read this first, I wouldn't have wasted my time typing!

I asked my sensei about this.

He says the easiest way which has the least risk to you is to push them hard on the shoulder with the palm of your hand.

I like it :)

ET

I asked my sensei about this.

He says the easiest way which has the least risk to you is to push them hard on the shoulder with the palm of your hand.

I like it :)

ET

In muay thai we have a few things similar.

1. as you leg block the roundhouse, push the shoulder - it takes power out of the kick

2. If you are closer too him and don't have time to catch the kick, nail him with a right cross to the body. it has the same effect as #1.

everyone should know multiple wyas of defending the roundhouse.

Agree with AndrewGreen. The simple 'step-in hard' technique from wrestling works very well. If you get caught with your leg in someone's underarm and they capture it, an effective action is to lean in while bending your knee (of the capture leg) and put your weight into that leg with the intention of stepping straight down to the ground. A single arm, or even two arms, are simply not going to be able to hold the leg under those circumstances and the weight you are putting into the action will prevent him from lifting his own leg to take out your other leg.

You may be one leg down, but he's either one or two arms down, which means you have upper body advantage. To ensure you stay on the offensive while committing to this action, include a strike or two to the face, elbows, and/or headbutts. The action of stepping-in should be committed quickly and immediately, so don't waste time trading punches while you're one leg down, as your strikes will only have power 'while' you are stepping-in. Your primary goal is to get the leg to the ground, not to hit the opposition (that's just a benny AND a good way to keep your opponent distracted).

Note: There are other techniques, such as doing a spinning backkick with your other leg, but these are exceedingly risky. In a competition, risky is good, as it may generate some much needed points. But, in a real confrontation, risky tricks can mean your death.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 1 month later...

when i got my leg caught in a kickboxing competition i just threw a punch and luckinly it collided with his temple quite good making me the winner but i dont think we can always be that lucky so i recommend not throwing in a kick when your opponent is still not tired , work them down a bit first.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

Everytime someone's grabbed my leg in sparring (usually cuz of anger), they end up eatting my fist pretty hard. That's just my experience - but I realized that they'd be pretty seriously hurt if it wasn't for their headgear and my knuckles being covered up.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."