• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What 2 do when they grab ur leg!?

Rich_2k3

I've been in that same situation you've described. What I did was throw a jumping hook kick with my support leg. Did it work? Yes. Did I end up on the ground? Yes. Did I get up off the ground? Yes.

This is essentially what I had in mind, but couldn't describe for some reason... thanks :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"

" A knee to his head, he is already supporting some of your weight spring of your base leg and as your going up clinch and knee him in the jaw. It works perfectly."

I think this looks pretty in training , try it elsewhere you are getting hurt bad. His other arm is free and will block the knee and he will slam you down on your back and head.

".

Im sure the hundreds of thai fighters that have used it in fight found it useful.

Plz will ppl stop saying "but i wouldnt get into that situation" blah blah blah, were discussing if it wud happen and obviously it has happened to some ppl.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Is there anyone here who does counter-leg grabbing in their dojo? becuase Its a nightmare for any martial artist especially if ur not prepared for it. I know someone made the comment about a roundhouse couldnt be grabbed, but I think this depends on the size of the person ur kicking, if the guys strong enough, then a badly performed kick may prove nasty.

Pull your leg back - and go forwards by yourself. Do this immediately after being grabbed.

Put your hands straight to the opponent's face and push your thumbs (or other fingers) into his eyes, rotate your thumbs to ensure the destruction. Alternative (and more friendly for dojo use) approach is to press the fingertips firmly to opponent's throat.

Very classical old karate approach. Works.

If you don't want to cause as much harm, just immediately pull your leg in and just strike and pound the opponent's face as hard as you can. Also a traditional (and rather handy) approach. :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Is there anyone here who does counter-leg grabbing in their dojo?

Can you describe what you mean by "countre-leg grabbing"?

...someone made the comment about a roundhouse couldnt be grabbed,...if the guys strong enough, then a badly performed kick may prove nasty.

A full force, properly thrown roundhouse to your midsection from anyone can be traped. Step back away from the kick with your trailing leg and you can take the kick on either a universal block that rolls to a trap, or simply let it come into the gut and make a 'basket' with your arms. Or you can circle the rear arm up to bind the leg between your forearm and bicep. What makes this work is the mechanical properties of the kick. It has max power at about 80% of its arc. After that, it starts loosing power rapidly. Step away and you deminish the effects of the kick greatly. In fact, step far enough and you don't even need to block as it won't even make contact. 'Course, it's hard to trap then too. Now, I'm sure someone out there is about to tell me this won't work. I've stood with my arms behind my back and let TKDers (known kickers) unload full force on me. It worked for me, and now it also works for them.

Freedom isn't free!

If someone has a good grab on that roundhouse kick, think outside the "karate box". In a real street situation it is unlikly most people would be able to break away or throw the support leg counterkick. I would say that if you are going to go down grab the guys head in a headlock and use his body to break your fall and him. The tactical advantage goes to the guy who lands on top. A little twist of the head and the body must follow. Try to control the fall and and drive as much of your own body weight into him as he falls.

Yes, I know is crude and barbaric and not MA-like :roll: but it is quite effective. :brow: :brow: :brow:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

"Counter leg grabbing"- I know it sounds crude but i couldnt put it another way, I mean practicing techniques to escape holds to the leg, u see in my dojo we dont practice it, or I havent seen it yet.

Another thing, if someone grabs ur legs, u've probably got under a second to react, so if its never happend before or u dont train it, then it could turn bad quickly.

• 2 months later...

In basic terms you have 2 options.

1. Pull your leg back and out of their grasp(if possible).

or..

2. Get close to them as soon as possible and go from there. Possibly strike them or grab there hands etc.