• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What 2 do when they grab ur leg!?

Rich_2k3

Ok, ur in a self defence situation and u decide to throw a roundhouse to the mid-section, unfortunatly u throw a bad kick and ur attacker manages to grab the end of ur leg, in this split second what would be ur reaction and how would u cope with it. Personally I dont know any counters for this, and this is a martial artists worst nightmare, so I would like to here ur ideas.

(Plz dont reply with "I wouldnt get into that situation" or "u need to be more specific" etc, plz just answer the question.)

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, you shouldn't be using a kick that you're not proficient in. A proper round house will not be caught with a proper stance and good crisp snap back...

Solution: Since your foot is already pivoted from the round house, quickly shift to a back kick to get out of this situation.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

A knee to his head, he is already supporting some of your weight spring of your base leg and as your going up clinch and knee him in the jaw. It works perfectly.

I've seen a few people perform some very interesting sacrifice jump kicks in this situation. I'm not sure I'd try any of them since there is such a margin of error. But, either way I guess you're going to the ground :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

"First, you shouldn't be using a kick that you're not proficient in. A proper round house will not be caught with a proper stance and good crisp snap back... "

I find most snap type kicks although fast lack the power it takes to drop a person. Note the devastating Mauy Thai version does not snap.

" A knee to his head, he is already supporting some of your weight spring of your base leg and as your going up clinch and knee him in the jaw. It works perfectly."

I think this looks pretty in training , try it elsewhere you are getting hurt bad. His other arm is free and will block the knee and he will slam you down on your back and head.

"either way I guess you're going to the ground "

At last some sense is made, if he has your leg you have little choice drop and work the ground. If your school does not address ground fighting learn some. It was a main part of most OKINAWIAN systms when the were created.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

I've been in that same situation you've described. What I did was throw a jumping hook kick with my support leg. Did it work? Yes. Did I end up on the ground? Yes. Did I get up off the ground? Yes.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

are you talking street fight or a competition spar? in a street fight and that happened i wud push off of my back leg forcing myself at him, bend the knee of the leg to bring myself closer to him and grab his shoulders and nut him, i know it seems a bit complicated but its a move by move break down and if u think about it, it wudnt be to hard to do, but if its competition i wud risk a jumping mawashi, and i know u r asking a "what if" cos anything can happen, but like mostly everyones sed, just try not to get into that situation

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes

self defence situation,...attacker manages to grab the end of ur leg,...how would u cope with it.

Depends on how he grabed it. For a standard grab, fingers and thumb wraped around your ankle, work against the thumb. More likely though, you'll be traped. Try turning the foot and adjusting your stance so you are in the position you'd be in if throwing a side kick. Then withdraw your foot just like rechambering a proper side kick. If done very fast this works. But if your foot drops at all, he'll have you (a proper side kick delivers just like kicking through a tube, and withdraws through the same tube- the foot doesn't drop at all). If it doesn't work (nothing is foolproof), you are in a better position to go to the ground without hurting yourself.

I'm a trapper, and I've shown this to several people. It makes them a lot tougher to get ahold of. It works.

Freedom isn't free!

Make sure you know where the other hand is, get you foot on the inside of the karateka's leg. Push your hips back and down while driving your heel toward the floor. It's easlier to teach in person and works very well. You can always pull guard. :D