• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Intense fear/blockage of sparring please help !

goedikey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sensei is a firm believer in Kumite. He was quite an established competitor himself, as is the assitant instructor. We have a well rounded class and we use the Kumite as sport oriented training. To those who find trouble with sparring; practice practice practice. If you have a move in your head, try it out by yourself. My Sensei told me that you don't need to know every move in karate to be a good competitor. Just have 5 good combinations and you could win a tournament. If you talk to your Sensei and he or she isn't listening to u, talk to your opponent. Ask them to give u some pointers while fighting and help you develop. It makes it enjoyable for both parties, instead of one beating on the other.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

My Sensei is a firm believer in Kumite. ...

My Sensei told me that you don't need to know every move in karate to be a good competitor. Just have 5 good combinations and you could win a tournament.

I agree. I think Forms reinforce Kumite and visa versa. Sure you can learn to fight without either, but I myself find the moves I use in Kumite are based on parts of Kata and happen really fast.

As for moves and winning competitions, I know many championship class MA that use mostly a handful of moves but do them really well and win consistently. There is something to be said for the keep it simple concept in sparring IMO. I think having a few wild card moves that they might not be as familiar with might help to throw off an opponent but are not key IMO>

Of course what do I know, I am only a lowely orange/black, but I do spend too much time thinking about these things :-)

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

You should try and spar with the highest rank available, preferably your sensei until you get more comfortable with your abilities.

Most of the injuries I see are with lower belts being too gung ho and coming in hard.

(I've been one of them once too and have had the broken ribs and ties to prove it)

Lower grades also fight like their very life depended on it - very stiff and very hard.

Find a higher grade person around your build, explain to them your fear and can they teach you how to spar confidently.

I think you'll find that if your dojo is full of good karate-ka, they will help you overcome this fear and teach you how to be a good fighter.

Just remember, they are there to help you, not hurt you.

Osu!

ET

Msot of my sparring time with lower belts is spent coaching, not trying to actually get anything out of the experiene for me. I would think the seniors at your school probably feel the same.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!