• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Intense fear/blockage of sparring please help !

goedikey

If you're sparring with a higher grade than you, maybe you could mention to them that you haven't sparred much at all and so could they take it slowly with you at first?

I'm sure they'll understand; everyone has been a beginner!!

Keep practising at home. Visualise yourself in a sparring situation and try to think what you might do. For example, if your opponent steps forward with an oi-tsuki punch (lunge punch) to the stomach, imagine yourself stepping and blocking smoothly and easily and countering their technique. Visualisation might sound a bit wierd, but it can work. Also, thinking about karate techniques can't harm you - the more you think about it, the more you should begin to understand it.

Also, try practising at home moving out of the way of an imaginary opponent. If you're rigid and stiff and stand on one spot then it's more likely that your opponent will make contact with you.

Another good thing to remember is breathing. Try doing some relaxing deep breathing excercise before you practice, as incorrect breathing will make you more tense and rigid.

Good luck with your training and DON'T GIVE UP!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is actualy difficult to speak with the sensei because he knows whats best for us and doesnt like to be challenged on his ideas.

THanks !

Flags are going up and bells are rigning. I'd have a good second look at your school if the sensei has that kind of attitude.

It is actualy difficult to speak with the sensei because he knows whats best for us and doesnt like to be challenged on his ideas.

THanks !

Flags are going up and bells are rigning. I'd have a good second look at your school if the sensei has that kind of attitude.

I agree.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

THanks !

I did speak to him and he listened.

He (kindof) admitted that my partner was maybe a little more experienced. He told me to have more confidence.

My school is a very reputable, trust me.

I am looking for a more gradual way to become intriduced to sparring because in this state, its unbearable to me.

I will makea more general post in the martial arts sectino

Thanks a lot ;-)

I have had a simalar problem, and have overcome it. Let me tell you, hopefully it will be inspiring for you.

For the past three years, I have been decent at sparring. No matter how much I worked, only decent. I put twice as much effort as most people my age, but I was never anything more than formidable. Recently, one of my instructors told me he used to be like me, and one day someone severly p!$$ed him off, he unleashed all he had, and has never lost a fight since, and that is all I have to do to unlock my potential. My head instructor told me that I have more potential than anyone in the Dojo, or the surrounding area. That if I unlocked my potential, everyone in the area would be a joke. Then I read (I think it was BB mag), that your instinct conflicts with your skill. Your skill says lunge forward and attack, but your instict says run away. The end Result is standing there not doing anything, trying to decide. I realised that all you have to do to win is relax all muscles for maximum speed of delivery and reaction, fully commit to your techniques-go all the way, really hit with true speed and power. Tonight I (almost literally) ran over two of our black belts.

I really felt for you when I read your post, because it reminded me of myself. Just stick with it, you will break through this sticking point if you want it bad enough, DON'T GIVE UP!!

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

A large part of sparring is also muscle memory. The idea that if your body can just react without thinking - it sees a front kick coming, it knows to give a low block and immediately follow with a punch.

It takes lots of training, but hey- thats why it takes years to get a blackbelt instead of 3 days.

Keep it up, accept that EVERYONE (well, mostly everyone) has problems at the beginning, you will get hit (& its not as bad as you think in class), you will lose some sparring at first, and in the end, it'll make you better, faster & stronger.

Another thing to consider is that you may never "enjoy" sparring. Many people don't. I've been doing this for two decades, and I can't say I savour the thought of kumite. I can hold my own, and I have won tournaments, but I prefer kata bunkai and oyo practice, partner drills, and things like that to sparring. I had an accident during kumite a few years back that added to my dislike of it.

Instead of trying to force yourself to like it, work on gaining proficiency. Drills, half speed partner work, etc...

these will increase your proficiency. Your best partner when sparring is a senior student, who is likely to haev better control than a beginner. The best way to guarantee injury is to have two beginners flailing at each other. Remember, sparring is not fighting, and its self-defence value is extremely limited. In fact, at the Rengokai this year in Okinawa, kumite was not even an event. The organizers felt that it did not represent the heart of Okinawan Karate. That says something, I think.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

True, when you look at most karate sparring sessions, there is no karate there - just a load of swinging legs and flying arms and accidentally, one touches the other and "point!"

I also agree that training with a senior is much better with the lack of injuries to yourself though they will alwys tend to hit you a lot harder! All good learning fun.

If you are scared of being hit then simply don't give your opponent time or space. You watch a fight, either relaxed or full pelt, and most of the times is spent dancing around. Just keep up the pressure with attacks from your hands and feet and should you get hit, you'll be too busy landing the next combination to worry about it.

I hear ya about sparing! It both scares and excites me. I have only been to about 5 sparring classes so far, most of the time I find it fun.

I learn a bit each class and am slowly getting better. I suspect the same will be true of you.

In our dojo you are not expected to start attending sparring class until you are a green belt. I am only an orange/black, but figure the sooner I start the more learning I get.

I am generally up against black to blue belt students.

My body is still hurting from the beating I took last night.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate