• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Intense fear/blockage of sparring please help !

goedikey

Sparring is so scary to me I dont feel like going back to my class.

Its been 3 times already and have performed very poorly.

I want to run becase my techinques are not effective.

I have VERY good kime and form during Kihon and kata though...

Sparring is even becoming dangerous because I bend my back sometimes to dodge and almost have a punch/knee/foot in the face.

I want to learn how to manage these stuations gradually, slowly.

My sensei will probably give me some kind of morale as to why hes doing it like that but still...it doesnt make want to go back.

Right now, my lack of experience is only scaring me into getting badly hurt.

People usually think of me as a strong guy because I am tall but in fact, I have never been in a fight and have always fleed.

Some have told me to keep a very good guard. I am also trying to learn on how to move in faster but the idea of having this tall freak in front of me is displeasing.

My school has a very good reputation and has been there for a very long time. I dont understand.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean, you've done it THREE WHOLE TIMES and you're still not good at it?

Maybe you *should* quit.. ;)

BTW, I'm being sarcastic! I don't know what to tell you except keep working on it. You've mentioned that you're scared of getting hurt, which is natural to a limit.. Everyone has hurdles they have to overcome, and it sounds like this one is yours.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I have met people in the same situation, and it is usually just that they are afraid of getting hit. You'll get over that. Other people have a fear of losing. Fear of losing can cause sparring to be very stressful and your performance will show it. Just remember that everyone loses and everyone gets hit. Have you seen anyone get injured in a match?

Fear is always going to be there, even after you get good. If you only sparred three times they should not be going to the head/face with any technique. Have spoken to your instructor about getting hit in the head.

Remember you are there to learn , If he tells you suck it up or gives you grief about your concerns find another school because that one is not giving you what you need at this point of your training.

what style /rank are you.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Keep trying, talk to ur sensei about it, DONT give up, and if u want to improve the physical side of it then join a gym or workout at home, remember keep practicing, dont give up.

If the ppl u spar with hit to the head, tell them to go easy, say that u need some practice and have a light spar, build up ur confidence. If they keep doing it talk to ur sensei.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Hello

thanks for your replies.

It is actualy difficult to speak with the sensei because he knows whats best for us and doesnt like to be challenged on his ideas.

And there is no sparring to the face, thank god.

I am Orange belt shotokan.

THanks !

I actualy called him up.

He understood what I meant and he agreed that my partners probably had more experience than me.

He said, although, that there has never been an injury in his schools and he knows what hes doing and we should be more confident...

I will try to work on my techniques a little more.