• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full face protection I am now using for sparring

aes

My dojo has more than one style of sparring match. It can depend if you are training for tournaments or self defense.

Point sparring matches are more tame but the odd punch kick etc can be blocked or wander high. The more self defense matches have a higher accident rate for accidental hard head contact.

I can take some good licks and not worry about it but I have always been worried about my face and even more so, my teeth. My teeth are very brittle and have many chips and a full crown capped tooth. I am not training to become a UFC chap so I have been eyeing different forms of face protection.

The dojo I train at only recommends one type of full face head gear. It has a couple thick bars across it and two that join with the bottom. Sorry I don't recall the brand name. It provides chin and back of the head protection as well.

The good news is there is no plastic to fog up. I sweat heavy in sparring matches and I mean heavy. In other sports I have always had to battle fogging problems. The bad part is the bars do create a bit of a blind spot low for when kicks are coming in.

I am finding that the confidence of knowing I am not going to be spitting all my teeth out has been a plus, but I think this blind spot issue will be a learning thing that I will get over and adjust for, but will see.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I "require" in my class for sprring is a groin cup. If the student wants to get other things, ok by me, but I remind them that they won't be wearing any protective gear on the street..so don't grow to depend on it.

As someone said..the best gear is to learn what you're taught in class everyday, block...and DON'T GET HIT! lol Have you considered a good mouthpiece? That should protect your teeth just fine. There are cheap ones, and good ones..spend the extra couple of $$$'s and get the best you can find.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Yes I have a good mouthpiece, but you don't understand. Just a good hard grinding of my teeth can cause them to chip or crack.

Secondly, it isn't that I depend on face protection but MA training is not worth me breaking a nose or spitting teeth out or even in worst case breaking my jaw.

Our school requires a bunch of equipment at lower belt levels (I am only an orange/black) and makes it optional as you move up depending on how intense of sparring you are doing. This is for liability I believe.

At Green belt they start to allow some lightish head contact and at black I beleive it goes up to more heavy. Of course at this level you should be pretty good at blocking, but you still are going to get your bell run every so often.

Anyways, I understand the argument of less equipment is more realisitic, but on the other hand for day to day training, I think being protected just makes plain sense.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

Secondly, it isn't that I depend on face protection but MA training is not worth me breaking a nose or spitting teeth out or even in worst case breaking my jaw.

You know aes, and I don't mean to be snippy here, but if you're worried about getting hurt, then maybe the contact martial arts isn't what you really want. The first thing I tell a new student before they do so much as a situp, is that they can get hurt in here. This is karate, a fighting martial art, and if you're worried about getting hurt (teeth, nose, jaw..whatever), then I think you're in the wrong place.

I understand about your teeth. 4 of my front teeth (2 on top, 2 on bottom)are basically "dead" (no nerves and brittle) due to a swimming competition when I was in junior high and at a swim meet. I did a flip turn off the wall (I was winning at the time) and brought my knee to far up and banged myself in the mouth with it. I finished dead last (almost knocked myself out), and at the time held the state record for my age group and was trying for a new record.

I personally also have a bad knee due to a cheap shot by a student years ago, and it could go out at anytime requiring more surgury. Being tall, I am also prone to throwing my back out of whack doing the simplist thing. Just turning wrong can do it, and lay me up for a week or more.

Yet I persevere and continue to train and learn because I love what I do, and I accept the risk to my physical well-being. I can't envision EVER quitting the arts as long as I can raise my arms and legs, and have the ability to move.

I'd say that if you're worried about getting hurt, try TaiChi perhaps?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I can't envision EVER quitting the arts as long as I can raise my arms and legs, and have the ability to move.

Which, after a good class, is really challenging! :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Have you looked into the sort of thing worn by the Shorinji Kempo people?

I had asked ppl here about the one the dudes on the Extreme Maratial Arts show were wearing but didn't get any real feedback on them. Our school you never see this type but it could just be that they don't have a dealer handy to buy them. They recommended the one that I got and I like it but it does create a blind spot.

I am not sure that the full face plastic ones would be a lot better. The lower breathing part I am sure would distort the view and would create it's own type of blind spot.

Lastly I throw so much heat and sweat off when I spar I would fog it up no matter what they say. i have never seen anyone sweat as heavy as I do when sparring (to my embarassment).

43 Years old

Roberts Karate