• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata and "getting it"

aes

In all honesty, yes it does. While a person may be able to execute what looks like an okay technique, they will always strive to improve it. I have had many a person in a lesson huff and puff when I have started to go through Heian Shodan. They will groan that they passed that grading x-number of years ago and how they don't need to know it now. Then you watch them do it and yup, they do need to practice it. Same thing with basic stepping punch. Most people will argue they do it well and yes, it might look okay, but then you will see all the little errors creeping in after they have done it a few times.

I guess it all comes down to personal understanding. What is okay for you today may not be as acceptable next year. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cathal,

I don't know how literally the quote was to be taken, but I would say it's fairly close.

1000 times really isn't a whole lot if you think about it. You have probably done this many repetitions by 5th kyu. 10,000 however will take a little more time.

Without sounding like a fortune cookie, sometimes the most simple looking techniques are much more complex than they appear.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Thanks, I guess it depends on how literal you take something given the context of how much you practice.

mmmm...fortune cookies

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well, my sensei says that it takes about 2 years to learn how to punch correctly in karate, so I would imaging that, yes, that many repetitions of a technique are needed. As aes had demonstrated, being able to 'do' a technique and actually 'getting' a technique are two different things. Something relatively simple like a basic upward block would be able to be done after a couple of dozen times of practice, but being able to do that technique naturally and without thinking about it is another matter entirely.

It's always a good feeling when your body does a technique naturally!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's called Neuro Muscular Memory, or just muscle memory.

Yes that is what he called it. It was explained as follows. We don't think about walking yet it comes automatically. Why? Because your body just knows what to do when you walk. Karate is much the same, you start off not knowing the moves, your body learns it and it becomes natural.

They kept saying this but deep in my mind I was not sure if I "bought it". I figured it wasn't a lie but could be over stated. Then my body started to do things automatically NMM started and now it has given me a boost in my Karate interest.

Yes there is still lots of reptition and stuff to learn but I guess I can see how it gets applied personally.

It wasn't so long ago when an attack was launched in sparring class that I would throw a block or two but cower away, but now a block will come from no where and I automatically feel my body reacting. It really helps the self confidence IMO.

I am still going to get my butt kicked if I got in a street fight but I am wondering, if this change has happened at about 1 year for me, what will it be like after an additional 5 years (approx) when I will be at black belt and beyond?

I have also noticed that I can do the blocks and counters with more power and snap. I used to have to kind of cut the corners of the technique because I felt I needed to in order to do it fast. Now that it is coming naturally and I had continued to refine the techniques in Kata class they are much more powerful.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• 2 weeks later...
How long would you say it would take to get to grips kata's?

For me personally it has been about a year, but this can varry I think depending on the student and the style. I am not an expert in such things so I cannot speak specifically on this.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

In my last sparring class I took a pretty good beating btw. There were more students present this time and going against some black belts certainly showed me how much more I have to "take it up a few more notches", to be at this level.

I did come out learning a bit more and being more dedicated to working on my technique so I can compete, some day.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate