• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bit Cha Ki (Diagonal Kick)

I saw that kick used in a kata at a tournmant once, so I tried it. It's not that difficult to do, but I don't see where It would be all that effective for sparring, especially point sparring, and especially when you have footgear on.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twist kick is what we call it.

I can't do one at all, in katas/patterns i throw a poor one to waist height. Your meant to turn your foot right over till it is parrallel with the floor.

As for it's effectiveness, I've seen people break bricks with that kick at head hieght!!!!

Some people throw it in point sparring to just above the knot of the belt but it's not the best move.

I started a thread last year asking what stretches you would do to achieve this kick but noone could tell me. I can do the side and front/back splits and still can't do this?! :-? guess it's a hips thing.

Look after your knees!

Bretty

Edited by Bretty101

Heres a question...

Which way should your standing foot point? :D

Bretty

The opposite direction from the kicking foot, or even behind you...which contributes greatly to the stress on the knees, hips, and supporting ankle.

It's a very hard kick to do if you're coming into the martial arts with limited flexibility, and some people's bodies just won't let them get this kick into 100% correct position no matter what they do.

I've seen a lot of black belts get through defenses with this kick, and you actually can produce a lot more power than it might seem. Foot gear does limit it's effectriveness, I will admit that.

I don't suggest doing it TOO often, though, as to do it 'right', you're basically pulling every joint and tendon from your hips down to your ankles in directions they really weren't meant to go...

...which contributes greatly to the stress on the knees, hips, and supporting ankle. ...I don't suggest doing it TOO often, though, as to do it 'right', you're basically pulling every joint and tendon from your hips down to your ankles in directions they really weren't meant to go...

Seems to me you'll pay a heavy price in joint wear for a kick with limmited uses practicing enough to get and stay profficient with this kick. Not to mention the othr injuries you could sustain in just trying it. But, I suppose, if it's worth the risk to you then go for it. Who knows, if nothing else it might get you on a magazine cover someday. :)

Freedom isn't free!

...which contributes greatly to the stress on the knees, hips, and supporting ankle. ...I don't suggest doing it TOO often, though, as to do it 'right', you're basically pulling every joint and tendon from your hips down to your ankles in directions they really weren't meant to go...

Seems to me you'll pay a heavy price in joint wear for a kick with limmited uses practicing enough to get and stay profficient with this kick. Not to mention the othr injuries you could sustain in just trying it. But, I suppose, if it's worth the risk to you then go for it. Who knows, if nothing else it might get you on a magazine cover someday. :)

Well, it is considered an "advanced" kick, so there is that...and I guess it all rolls down to how often you practice it, and if it is causing you any pain.

I can do the kick now without any real problems, but I've been stretching since I was 10 years old, and have been doing that particular kick for somewhere around 17 years...

...I guess it all rolls down to how often you practice it, and if it is causing you any pain.

I hurt just thinking about it! But it's true enough that some people can do things like that and it never seems to effect them. Others can't do that kind of thing no matter how much they stretch or how hard they try. Still others get hip replacements.

Freedom isn't free!

... but I've also heard it called a reverse or inverted roundhouse, so yes, it's the same kick.

It's reverse roundhouse in Kuk Sool Won.

Edited by SBN Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

The twist kick is effective if you see the opening, like top of chest...u gotta see it, its very hard to explain, cause you can hit anywhere w/ a good twist kick...

to throw a good one, you must use the foot on the ground to push you towards your kick...

garethinian: that picture looks more like a snap kick...no offense...try bending your toes towards the target...

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"