• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bit Cha Ki (Diagonal Kick)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/10686334/10686588qrxpCWzuXx

(for visual reference)

Is this a popular kick in your style? It seems to be fairly unique to the Korean styles, but I would imagine that there are a few other schools who have picked it up along the way.

It seems like one of those kicks you can either do really well, or not at all. :) For me, I have a hard time getting my hips to turn enough to strike with the ball of my foot effectively. Now if I was just to use the instep, no problems.

I have found this to be a handy kick in point sparring, especially when they think they are close enough to negate your back leg. You can really get it up there and pop the opposite side really quickly.

It's also a nasty low kick.

Any other thoughts?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kick we call an Inverted Round Kick. I think the foot positioning is the same as for a regular front snap kick with the ball of the foot. That is, the foot is lowered as far as it will go like for an instep kick but then the toes are pull back instead of curled down.

Long Live the Fighters!

In Tang Soo Do, we knew it as a inverted roundhouse, also. My TKD school uses it (donno what they call it), but not often. I use it while sparring, still. It took me a while to get it down, but I like it :)

Laurie F

We use a similar kick we call the 'twist kick' (obviously denoting the twisting motion of the hips) but use the instep instead of the ball of the foot, though I have used the ball as well. It can be done from a standing, stepping or jumping position and can be very effective. I've found that if I step behind as if approaching with a side kick to the midsection, but at the last second change to the twist kick, I can get my instep under someones chin before they even know it ;)

I hate you people that can kick like that!!!

That looks like an inverted roundhouse kick, only higher. A few years ago I ripped my hamstring from knee to butt throwing that kick to someones solar plexus. I can't immagine trying it to the head. I've only known a couple of people who could do that, both TKDers. :x

Freedom isn't free!

Well..I belong to the same association as tommarker, so i do this kick, but I've also heard it called a reverse or inverted roundhouse, so yes, it's the same kick.

I've found it's very good for sneaking in under someone's defense and penetrating to the abdomen, as most people just aren't expecting your foot to come in at that trajectory.

i also like using it combination by using the same foot and fliiping it over into a traditional high roundhouse kick.

The first kick tends to bring their hands down, and the second pops up quickly to the face. It's a tricky combination, and could be murder on you if you have bad knees or hips, so I don't suggest everyone trying it, but I really like it.