• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Watching yourself

ESA-Shotokan

Yeah, the students seemed to like it. I also taped sparring sessions and just general classes at random and let the students check them out for a few days, or make a copy if they wanted. It gave them the opportunity to see how they are doing.

I found that taping their kata, ESPECIALLY when they didn't believe they were doing something consistenty incorrect (like I could be wrong??? lol), and then going over it with them after class, was a great teaching tool, because you could slow motion, or freeze frame what you were talking about, and they could see it for themselves.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Taping yourself is a good way to help correct any of your martial arts activities. I especially like to have contact sparing taped- it helps me see why I keep getting hit! There are three viewpoints to any fight: yours, your opponents, and the third party/bystanders. With a camera, you get to view the fight from two perspectives. And if you and your opponent watch it together and critique it, you get the bennifit of all three viewpoints firsthand! What more could you ask for in a learning tool?

Freedom isn't free!

Video of sparring... now that brings back a fond memory.

I was sparring a very athletic youth at a tournament last year. I somehow managed to elude his kicks and stick him enough times to win 3-2.

Turns out his GF videotaped the whole affair, and he felt that there were points he scored which didn't get counted. He actually interrupted the judge, and brought the video to him to try and convince him....

The judge agreed to watch the video AFTER the matches were over. The judge said "it looks like he dodged it, AND scored another point on you. Are you sure this is what you want to base your complaint on?"

I guess my point is that sometimes people just insist on seeing what they want to see :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Some of the guys and I make videorecs of ourselves once a year. I think it is a great tool, 'cause you get a totally different look at your techniques. I highly recommend it. :karate:

May the force be with you... Always

In Summer before a grading, we taped ourselves almost every lesson and watched them afterwards. It was useful to see your weak points and strong points in kata and basics, but it was often quite disheartening. I think there's no substitute for mirrors. When you can analyse your movements as they're going along you can correct yourself immediatelt after spotting a mistake, as opposed to sitting in front of the tv an hour later saying 'oh, i wish i'd done that instead...' But for keeping a record of your progress, I might try recording a video. I never feel I'm making any progress, despite what my senseis say, so it would be a good confidence boost. Or, it could just confirm what I guessed all along...! :roll:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

aefibird u think u go it bad i got mirrior's all round my dojo it is relly useful but can be very very annoying :karate:

let not the fear of death stay your hand nor defeat your courage.The warrior who will provail is the one who confronts death its self

Our sensei tapes us once per month, and at gradings. We find it is an invaluable tool to see our techniques but also to watch our progress. It is a very good pick-me-up to watch yourself perform a technique better over time. It really helps with finetuning certain techniques as well. Our dojo does not have mirrors, but I really trust my fellow students and their input is also quite valuable.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu