• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparred with a black belt tonight

Ti

What's all this * about hierarchal, breaking out of line and pass out on your training? People like that should go to the marines. But I guess they are just not tough enough. Karate is just a sport, a hobby. Nothing more nothing less.

The same people are in favour of the black belt. A black belt doesn't say d... All that matters is the way someone trains and his/her attitude while training.

René

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's all this * about hierarchal, breaking out of line and pass out on your training? People like that should go to the marines. But I guess they are just not tough enough. Karate is just a sport, a hobby. Nothing more nothing less.

its also a method of self defense

What's all this * about hierarchal, breaking out of line and pass out on your training?

As I mentioned earlier, it depends on where you train,a dn how seriously you take your training.

People like that should go to the marines. But I guess they are just not tough enough.

The Marines are crazy. I was in the Army. :D But, this sort of training is what I have done since I begun, at age 14. It is about self control.

Karate is just a sport, a hobby. Nothing more nothing less.

This is a sad comment on your (lack of) understanding of what you practice. Never forget that you are practicing skills which can disable or kill another person. I am always amazed at how many people practice with no undersatnding of what they are doing. You must be a member of your school's "Master Club," or "SWAT Team," or some other silly named group deigned to separate you from your money.

The same people are in favour of the black belt. A black belt doesn't say d... All that matters is the way someone trains and his/her attitude while training.

And the "I'm going to do whatever I want to, whenever I want to" attitude is not conducive to training. It is conducive to training at a McDojo, I would guess. As has been said beofe, if you don't like that sort of school, don't train there. I do like that atmosphere, and train at those sort of schools.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

This is a sad comment on your (lack of) understanding of what you practice. Never forget that you are practicing skills which can disable or kill another person. I am always amazed at how many people practice with no undersatnding of what they are doing.

I can say the same thing about you.

Baseball players also practice a deadly skill. I wouldn't want to get hit by a bat.

Boxers also practice a deadly skill.

Yet those people see it as a sport; not some mystical "art" where they "perfect their character".

René

This is a sad comment on your (lack of) understanding of what you practice. Never forget that you are practicing skills which can disable or kill another person. I am always amazed at how many people practice with no undersatnding of what they are doing.

I can say the same thing about you.

That is true, my 22 years of Karate probably is but a drop in the bucket compared to your extensive time in training, right?

Baseball players also practice a deadly skill. I wouldn't want to get hit by a bat.

Been attacked by a bat wielding opponent. I came out on top. If I waere practicing a "sport" I doubt I would have.

Boxers also practice a deadly skill.

And most I know of appreciate that waht they are doing is a form of unarmed combat.

Yet those people see it as a sport; not some mystical "art" where they "perfect their character".

Where do you get the "mystical art" part from? Some of us acknowledge that what we are doing is related to injuring or killing others. The perfection of character comes from avoiding situations that would lead one to attempt to "try one's skill," because we value other human lives. I would never point a gun at another person, nor would I hand one to a child. This is the equivalent to what many do when they fail to remember the purpose behind most techniques. Granted, the skill level of most of these folks is such that they are more likely to cause their opponent to pass out from laughter than any other form of damage. ;)

The perfection of your character, or lack of it, is pretty eveident. :roll:

Ripper "Karate is just a sport, a hobby. Nothing more nothing less. "

Wow. Ignorance really is bliss.

Unless you intend to make a living at it, it's still just a hobby. I train hard, I push myself to my limits, but I will still train safely. Once you pass that point of discomfort, you no longer train effectively.

Once you pass that point of discomfort, you no longer train effectively.

I would disagree. I think you have to go past that point to train effectively. I also disagree that this compromises safety. A good instructor can push students far past their comfort zones, and still maintain safety. Even aerobics instructors aim to take their classes beyond their collective comfort zones.

That is true, my 22 years of Karate probably is but a drop in the bucket compared to your extensive time in training, right?

You don't know how many years I've practiced.

Been attacked by a bat wielding opponent. I came out on top. If I waere practicing a "sport" I doubt I would have.

9 out of 10 the person with the bat has the advantage. Or you were lucky or it was a 3 year old kid. :)

The perfection of your character, or lack of it, is pretty eveident. :roll:

And how is that so evident? Just because I don't agree with you? Then I think you have some perfecting to do.

René

Once you pass that point of discomfort, you no longer train effectively.

I would disagree. I think you have to go past that point to train effectively. I also disagree that this compromises safety. A good instructor can push students far past their comfort zones, and still maintain safety. Even aerobics instructors aim to take their classes beyond their collective comfort zones.

Actually you are agreeing. Offcourse, when you train you push yourself to your limits. It is just a question of where you put the limit. On a certain point you go beyond the point of safety. Then it is time to stop.

René