• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to start jujitsu

I recently got i leaflet on jujitsu and i've being doing a shokan karate so i thought about starting, i check out their web site, i saw some pictures. im not very tall and the pictures of a guy being toss scared me a little. im 15 and i found out i would be training with the adults. I bit afraid to start. is it really is scary as it looks? :bawling:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
no,its not as scary as it looks.before you start training techniques,the instructor will teach falling techniques to show you the proper way to take a fall.after you get familiar with falling,your instructor will throw you but will support your weight by holding your body weightup so that you wont hit the mat as hard as you think.i started training jujutsu when i was your age and i remember thinking the same thing.give it a shot,what do got to lose?good luck!

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

Just to re-iterate what Davison said - (I too went from Shotokan [+others] to JuJitsu) - if the teacher tries to do any throws, or anything involving falling without a reasonable amount of breakfalling, they're a bad teacher. Simple as that.

You *can* get really badly injured falling (same as you *can* get injured doing Shotokan), but you shouldn't. Learning to breakfall is essential, and can get boring. You should learn side to side, backwards and forwards.

BUT, Jujitsu is amazing, it opens up an amazing, almost magical world, coming from an art like Shotokan - whilst I had a fantastic Shotokan teacher, who was also a Judo black belt, and a former amateur boxer, it simply does not have the range of techniques available to JJ.

Enjoy!

You must empty your cup before you can fill it - Zen saying

I went to my first Jiu Jitsu training session last night, I have a few years of Taekwon-Do experience and have done some kickboxing cross-training. Although it felt a little bit strange, going from being an advanced student of Taekwon-Do right back to being taught basic blocks, strikes and breakfalls, it was good fun and I will go again, besides which, I learned a number of good techniques in the first session alone.

In addition, I wouldn't worry about your size, as your lower centre of gravity means that it should be easier for you to throw people who are taller than you. Also, with age (sometimes) comes a degree of maturity and an ability to act responsibly... you may find that they are better training partners than your peers in age.

I think that there can be too much emphasis on whether you do BJJ or JJJ. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong) BJJ is essentially Jujitsu, but with more emphasis on the groundwork and grappling. You may find a teacher of non BJJ who teaches Jujitsu more 'Brazilian' than a teacher of Brazilian Jujitsu. Ultimately getting good basics in Jujitsu will stand you in good stead - if you then feel that you are not getting enough of one thing or another when you are more advanced is then up to you - which is essentially what JKD was all about - getting to a sufficiently advanced level that you could then start to mould that art to suit you - but only once you are knowledgable and practised enough to do so.

Hope it's the art (and teacher!) for you!

EC

You must empty your cup before you can fill it - Zen saying

• 2 weeks later...

There is a a big diffrence. Most JJJ Schools don't focus on the ground work as much as BJJ. Thats up to the practioner what he likes better standing jiu-jitsu or Ground work. Granted BJJ does both more emphasis on the ground side though. JJJ does both to some degree but alot more emphasis on standing subs. So I aksed to see what the guy is doing.

-Jeff