• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to start jujitsu

I recently got i leaflet on jujitsu and i've being doing a shokan karate so i thought about starting, i check out their web site, i saw some pictures. im not very tall and the pictures of a guy being toss scared me a little. im 15 and i found out i would be training with the adults. I bit afraid to start. is it really is scary as it looks? :bawling:

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You don't have to be afraid.

Jiu-Jitsu is a very safe MA, my suggestion is that you pay very attention with the breakfalls (so you'll learn how to fall and then not to hurt you).

I think it's good that you train with people bigger than you, because you will be in disadvantage and that will turn you to be more technical.

Come on, go and train, i am sure you will enjoy it :)

Valencia - Venezuela.

It may be intimidating at first. Just get in there and go for it. Soon you'll realize it's just another class. No one's out to try and kill their training partners, I hope. :)

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

martials arts is to help, not to hurt...always remember that....

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

I started jujitsu while I was doing shotokan.

Don't be scared by the pictures. The first thing you'll learn is how to fall and get thrown without hurting yourself. Then, the badass throws they show in pictures won't be done on you until you have a bit of experience. You'll only have basic forgiving throws done on you to start with.

So no, its not as scary as it looks.

Also, jujitsu is designed to be effective no matter what your size. If you get the technique right you can throw people much bigger than you, and this can give you a lot of confidence.

And if you're talking about traditional japanese jujitsu, there's plenty of striking and grappling involved too; its not just throwing.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan