• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seiza

kilo

I dont do Karate so forgive me if this is a stupid question. How often do you partice sitting in seiza or even shikko in class.

Kendo is like starwars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.

"Luke, I am your sensei"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Beginning and ending of the class. In addition, we can sit that way during lectures and demonstrations if we so chose. Mostly we're standing and physically active, however, so there isn't much call for it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

It depends. Ususaly in BB classes we have an "Informal bow-in" from the standing position. In the beginning and intermediate classes we usually do a formal bow in. The same has been true in most Shotokan dojos I've been to. Wado is really the only style I've practiced where we always did a formal bow in, but the only place I've done Wado is here in Denver. Did that help?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

In my Shotokan dojo, we usually have a formal bow at the start and end of class. However, we occasionally have an 'informal' bow if there aren't many of us (eg 3 or 4). We only sit in seiza for a couple of minutes a lesson, so it is hardly any time at all.

In the aikido club I go to it is very traditional and there is a lot of sitting in seiza. However, I've only had one lesson so far (second one tomorrow night!!), so they may have 'informal' sessions that I don't yet know about.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!