• Roundhouse Punch

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really suprised by the results of this, I thought that the roundhouse punch would dominate, but seems that i'm wrong, very wrong infact.

Not so surprising. We all get told to punch straight out.

It depends on your range, really...reverse punch is good for long range because it has more potential length, but a hook punch is pretty powerful from close in, when thrown correctly.

Of course, it also depends on what other techniques you choose to use in combination. If you just throw a reverse punch, you probably won't have much luck because it telegraphs a lot...but if you can sneak it in among a flurry of techniques, you're more likely to succeed. The hook punch can be thrown with the lead hand, so it's a good, initial technique.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

What I wonder though is why boxers rarely use linear punches, and they never use reverse punches, not proper ones anyway. They usually use a jab, like a snap punch, but its not really there to make damage. I suppose its to do with getting round a boxers guard. People are saying that the reverse has more power, but why is it that in boxing, the hook is always the knockout punch, the one that does the damage?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

What I wonder though is why boxers rarely use linear punches, and they never use reverse punches, not proper ones anyway. They usually use a jab, like a snap punch, but its not really there to make damage. I suppose its to do with getting round a boxers guard. People are saying that the reverse has more power, but why is it that in boxing, the hook is always the knockout punch, the one that does the damage?

I box. I can say boxers use both styles of punching, but no reverse punch. IMO it's because of the glove. The boxer has to punch through the glove first, the karateka is punching with a bare fist.

I dont like sparring with big gloves because their clubersome and its hard to perform hand techniques correctly, I find them really restricting. However they are good for crudely blocking straight punches to the face cuz their so big! My favorite mit for light sparring is the Wuko mitt, cuz u can use any hand techniques effectively and there really light.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee