• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can Mantis style be effective?

and by over-simplistic, i mean you view of how we train kung fu styles, not your explaination.

you seem to think that all we do is forms.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are many schools that do indeed only do forms. He's not far off in his assumption. There are CMA schools that do not allow sparring. I've heard of a few japanese schools like that also - traditional jujutsu comes to mind. They never engaged in randori, but the judo guys did, which is why they mopped the floor with them. Today, there are JJ schools that spar (from what I seem to hear, it seems like that's not the majority though) and there are still CMA schools that don't spar. Forms, stance training, iron palm/body, chin na, self defense, weapons, etc...

sigh.

i know and that is what saddens me the most.

you might have seen my post elsewhere about my views on 'modern' training in 'traditional' martial arts.

what anoys me the most is when a bunch of guys from the same class complain that there isn't enough sparring...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

I am not far off. I use general statment. I know there are instructors that focus on more Self Defense applicationa nd how to make the moves work by applying them in a controled sparring application. But most of the time no!

In gernal sport has deluted the arts but in other ways made the practioner better. For example TKD got a huge bad rep because of the point sparring which instructors put alot of emphasis on to which other people later on going through the ranks when they became instructors well lets say alot of power was taken out and they focused more on speed. but with out the body weight speed don't mean that much you have to have both for power.

Same with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Gracie's been having the problem of every thing going to sport I been hearing stories of Helio gracie asking his sons if they teach self defense any more and trying to push that out more.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
from what i've seen of mantis, it fights a bit like wing chun.

I know a chap who does Mantis, and indeed a lot of his techniques seem to be based around the Wing Chun "Fook Sau". It seems to work alright, though - he's a bouncer and is quite a handful when he gets going.

It does seem to me that some of the applications are a bit dodgy - they use Fook where we never would - but then I haven't studied the style... And what would I know about Kung Fu... or anything else...

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

by fighting like wing chun i meant that it seems very focused around the elbow, 'separate' top/bottom and intercepting.

by the way, you quote sifu wong, are you part of his line?

if so, where abouts do you train?

Hi Drunken Monkey...

My teacher's Sebuk is Sifu Ng. I believe he trained under three of Sijo Yip Man's students, including Sifu Wong. Here's his site: http://www.wingchun.hk.com/sifu_intro.htm

I train 'behind closed doors' in London. How about you ?

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.