• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Danzan Ryu is fairly modern (early 1900's?). He was asking for information on the Hawaiian style of Jiu-Jitsu. I was simply providing a little background. It is, however, a very effective Jiu-Jitsu system and is complete in the sense that they teach restoration techniques and healing i.e. kappo and seifukujutsu.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Yes, I understand, but the very question in the topic was Judo or TJJ, danzan-ryu is not a TJJ but possibly a modern derivative of such styles. TJJ are styles that teach the samurai fighting arts, including katana, naginata, tanto, and so on. Most modern derivatives have dropped these traditional elements in favor of modern aproaches, thus no longer being TJJ. This by no means affects the effectiveness of a style. Just a matter of terminology.

• 2 weeks later...
if you do choose judo make sure the intructor knows that you don't want to compete(or want to defend yourself). cause i know most judo techniques in my class aren't real life situation techniques(although the joint locks and tkd are), there more towards sports. in that case the intructor might not use gi's sometimes to simulate real life combat, as well as some basic kicks and blocks. go to judoinfo.com and search for combat judo, they got the army handbook for self defense(mainly based on judo) book for dl...

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

if you do choose judo make sure the intructor knows that you don't want to compete(or want to defend yourself). cause i know most judo techniques in my class aren't real life situation techniques(although the joint locks and tkd are), there more towards sports. in that case the intructor might not use gi's sometimes to simulate real life combat, as well as some basic kicks and blocks. go to judoinfo.com and search for combat judo, they got the army handbook for self defense(mainly based on judo) book for dl...

the throws are completely combat applicable, and many can be done without a gi. You have a good point though - you have to find a teacher willing to teach you that, if that's what you are looking for.