• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I AM 20 YEARS OLD, AM I TO OLD TO START TRAININIG?

Day

Well said, sriney! It's up to each person to truly know what they're capable of and when they feel ready to start MA or start a new MA.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 39 and have been studying full-contact karate for a year and a half.

I did shotokan and tae-kwon-do 20 years ago but they are nothing compared ot this.

The training is more intense, the fighting is hard. Injuries are real and heal time is longer.

Most of the guys in the dojo are in their early 20s, so it makes for an interesting workout :)

Our Soshu says karate begins at 50 - I believe him.

I'm going to get my blackbelt in the next year or so.

To get it I have to fight 15 people, one after the other in knockdown, full-contact bouts at the end of a 2.5 hour promotion test and they wont be very kind to me :)

No, you are nowhere near too old to start karate, just a style that suits you and your body, research the dojo and find out the lineage of the sensei (this is the most important point).

ET

I started Goju-Ryu style at 47. Yes, injuries take more time to heal, and the kids (11-18 years) are all faster than me at running lines, but I have integrity, willpower and committment that they'll never see!

As far as why I started, my daughter was taking the art, and it seemed like fun. A divorce proceeding, lots of anger and I'd taken Judo 30 years before, so I knew, sorta, what I was in for. Not really looking forward to the black belt test, soooo much to learn. lol

...but I have integrity, willpower and committment that they'll never see!

Actually, you'd be surprised. Good instructors can tell in classes who is giving 100% vs who is giving 50%. And they can see from the way you handle yourself who is determined to keep trying vs those who don't get something and pretty much give up or don't care.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
your never to old you do what you can to the best of your ability and if thats not good enough you probly shouldnt be doing it

theres no one style just your style---------

You know ... there's something that just came into my mind ...

I started Karate at 22, and of course I feel I've lost a lot of precious time in comparison with some of my younger coleagues.

Still ... there are more things to have in mind. They are all champions, were on many contests, tourneys ... I was once at a kata competition, won first place and took a break. I'm preparing for some kumite tourneys in autumn, but competitions are not my goal.

So back to the problem. They train twice a week. I train 6 times a week (2 sessions with them, and 4 sessions with the sensei and other "classes".) I work hard and have noticed serious improvements, including winning sparring sessions with the "champs". So ... sometimes the quality of the training is important and many lost years could be thus recovered. Not entirely, but miracles happen :karate: