• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Embroidery Colour

equaninimus

If you have embroidery on your belt, what colour is it?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you have embroidery on your belt, what colour is it?

• yellowish
    • red
    • white
    • green

Oh yeah, I've got red & blue competition belts too. They have Shotokan on one end and the name of my club on the other.

When we were looking for a main sponsor for our competition team, someone gave some money to buy equipment with, so everyone on the team ended up with a cheap pair of mitts and a set of red & blue embroidered belts. They're a bit naff looking but, hey, they were free!! ^grin^

On a related theme, does anyone have any embroidery on their gi? I mean other than an association or club logo.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Anyway, the new belt shows up and I proudly wear the thing to class one night only to be pulled aside by one of the more senior yudansha and told that red is a no-no. Apparrently our style's head does not like the colour red. Oops!

Did he give you a good reason why red is a no-no?

Forget that; who gives a f... what colours you wear on your belt. If I were you I'd wear it all the time (but then again I can say this easy behind the comp). And if they would have trouble with that or even want to throw me out of the dojo I wouldn't want to train there anyway.

Why people allways have to do so mystic about karate? It's just a hobby.

René

No one is threatening to eject me, and no one has said not to wear it except when either Zempo or Zenshum Shimabukuro come to visit (in July and March, respectivily), or when I go to Okinawa in August. I wear the thing to evey practice.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

The colour red represents authority/power, in the japanese culture. So that could explain why japanese sensei's does not like, members of their style adding that colour to their belt. It's like an "unauthorized promotion" of sorts.

Read a book!

I've got my name in katakana which is the japanese way of writing western names, and style in kanji in the other end of the belt. Both are red.

Actually I didn't really think of a colour, and nobody told me it had to be red. It just turned out to be red.... I guess it is one of these 'secret rules'. hmmm :roll:

Well, it looks kinda cool anyway, so who cares.

May the force be with you... Always

equaninimus i recon u should import a britsh made blitz belt or ki-ai belt as they are long lasting good qualtiy belt's

let not the fear of death stay your hand nor defeat your courage.The warrior who will provail is the one who confronts death its self