• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Embroidery Colour

equaninimus

If you have embroidery on your belt, what colour is it?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you have embroidery on your belt, what colour is it?

• yellowish
    • red
    • white
    • green

Right, so here's a bit of an odd question: Have any of you restrictions on what colour you can have the style name/your name embroidered onto your belt? Not too long ago I ordered a spiffy new belt, and decided on red thread for the embroidery. No particular reason, just that I had only seen one other person with red embroidery on their belt and it looked rather neat, I thought. I've always had that sickly orange before, but....

Anyway, the new belt shows up and I proudly wear the thing to class one night only to be pulled aside by one of the more senior yudansha and told that red is a no-no. Apparrently our style's head does not like the colour red. Oops! :uhoh:

Its okay to wear the belt to regular classes, but when Hanshi's son and Dan Smith come to visit this spring, I should wear the old raggedy greyish one. Apparently any colour besides red would have worked. Ah well...

But it has made me curious, has anyone else had similar experiences?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I recently got a new belt. Fro years I ahve jsut worn a plain black belt no kanji. However for some odd reason I decided to have kanji put on this one I have just about always seen yudansha with the yellow thread on there belts but I decided to get red. I have gotten a few looks but no one has said anything . Anyway I have been doing this a long time so who cares. I do however still find myself jsut wearing the plain balck belt. I guess I really just hate new belts.

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

The person I saw with red was from a Shito-ryu school. I think I should have gone with my first thought and had midnight blue embroidery done. :)

A friend of mine, who is a bit of a smart-a__ has his belt embroidered in black thread. Now that it is losing the black covering, his name and style are finally visible. :roll:

This is black belt number four or five for me, I forget which. The more expensive, the shorter their lifespan, it seems. This one is cotton, rather than the fancy silk covering. The longest lasting belt I ever owned was a plain black belt from AWMA with no embroidery or anything. I got it in 1985 and it finally tore at the knot in 1992. Replaced it with a Kwon (I was in Germany at the time), that only lasted two years. My then GF bought me an embroidered Shureido belt as a "getting out of the Army soon" present. That lasted a year, although it did outlast the GF! ;) I replaced it with a simlar one from Tokaido, which finally died in 2000. I replaced that with one from Daruma, a company I haven't seen in the US, that I bought in a MA supply store in Kyoto. It has almost none of the black covering remaining, and is tearing at the knot, hence the reason I bought another belt. Ah, well.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

firstly - Happy new year all :D

I voted red (my club colour for website and badge etc - you gotta be colour co-ordinated these days you know ;)) as my new belt has red writing (english not kanji) and dan stripes. This was a present to myself for taking my sandan grading - hence replacing a belt that was not worn out.

My previous belt was gold which looked quite cool too.

I personally prefer cotton belts over silk ones, besides the fact they are half the price, they stay black... seems strange being a grey belt!! :lol:

I dont think we have any rules on what colour can be used but most go for gold if they bother at all.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

My belt is embroidered in red with my name at one end and Shotokan at the other, both in Japanese.

I wanted the embroidary in blue, but the place I bought my belt from said I could only have red or yellow/gold. :(

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've got a red/blue competition belts which have got my name/style/club on them in gold, hopefully when I get my black belt I'm gonna have name on one end in english and style on the other end in kanji both which shall be in silver! We don't really have any restrictions on our belts, just that they hold your trousers up !