• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing a different patch than the dojo you are training in.

Locutus

Hi,

I am going to try out at a new dojo today. I still have my old gi with my Goju-ryu (the fist) patch on it.

The dojo I am try out is teaching Chito-Ryu.

Would it be disrespectful to wear my old gi with a Goju patch on it for one or two classes?

/Locutus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
They probably wouldn't take offense to it at first but would eventually expect you to wear thier patch. Personally, I wouldn't take offense. I don't wear patches.

Yeah, if you are just trying it out go with what you have .... I'd be more offended if someone came in with a dirty, unclean, sloppy uniform than worried about the patch.

I spent my entire month trial period in ShorinRyu wearing my Mizugami I-Ryu patch. When I sat down and talked to my instructor before signing up he told me I'd have to get a ShorinRyu patch in the near future (I knew this anyway) -- I respect the fact that he made this clear before I signed on the dotted line so their was no surprise obligations after the fact.

KarateForums.com Sempai

I think if someone is offended by a patch their too sensative.

Just explain about the other style you do and your away. Eventually you might wanna get a new gi, but at todays prices its not going to bankcrupt you.

My instructor doesn't care. We have a student that wears a uniform from a different school. Logo on the back is different. We don't wear patches, but he does. He trains somewhere else when he is in college. Then he comes back home and back to our dojang (where he started). A lot of people (mostly college kids, though) do that at my dojang, so my instructor has no problem with it.

Laurie F

Out of politeness, I would wear a plain gi to an unfamiliar school. If you have a patch, or embroidery (as I do on most of my gis) you can cover it with athletic tape.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Simply explain to the instructor that you don't want to offend anyone and that it's the only gi you have or all of your gi's presently have the patch. He should be understanding about this especially since you were concerned enough to bring it to his attention.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I think that wearing the Goju-Ryu patch should be OK for a few classes, especially if you explain to the instructor before hand that you're not being disrespectful.

Good luck with the training in Chito-Ryu! I hope everything goes well for you!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Why cover the patch? How egocentric are you if you are offended by a patch from another school being on one of your student's gis, even if he had trained there?