• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Now you can practice Martial arts, in your dreams...

I actually get into fights occasionally in my dreams,

and I find that I can't strike properly. I'll try to punch and kick and I'll be slow, akward and weak (almost like I'm under water). I won't be able to connect or do any dammage,

so I usually have to rely on grappling.

I think maybe the parts of my brain that are active while I'm sleeping just don't "get" striking.

EDIT: White Warlock, I just read your post. You definitely described what my strikes are like. I don't know if it's unpreparedness though, because I have been able to defeat skilled opponents with grappling in dreams.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hmm... maybe your confidence lies within your grappling, and the uncertainty associated with not having 'sensitivity' in striking is eating at you. Have you entered any full-contact competitions and if so, did you fare well?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 5 weeks later...

No, I've never fought in a full contact tourney. I've been outclassed in some a point sparring (still hitting hard enough to bruise, knock over, and cause lots of pain) tourneys though :)

I've never competed in grappling.

It's weird though because I have very limited grappling training. In fact while I'm awake, I am self-conscious about my limited grappling abilities. I could take down and tap out Joe Averageguy pretty easily, but not someone from a grappling background, or someone a lot bigger than me.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Ironically, it's the opposite with me. I've been in quite a few fights in my dreams and sometimes find myself doing spinning kicks, insane boxing combos, and lotsa lotsa other TKD kicks. Everyonce in a while, I'll end up dreaming stuff that is only minorly impossible - like flying knee thrusts that are above my current jumping ability, etc. I find it funny that I've seen all the TKD stuff work only in my dreams, the dojo, sparring, and at tourneys, (never been in a street fight) but for "reality" check it could also mean too much confidence in one's ability.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."