• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting again

TracyLou

Hi,

Im 23 years old and used to do wado Ryu when I was 15...anyway I fell out with a friend and stopped going and have regretted it ever since.

Ive made it my new years resolution to start again next year...is this realistic at my age?

Id love to get back into it but am afraid I will be the only woman there...silly i know, am I likely to be on my own if I do start up again?

TIA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let age get in the way. I was 34 when I started, it took a while to get the old joints loose but now I'm in the best shape since I was 17. Great to hear you are starting back. Welcome to the forum. You should say "Hello" to everyone in our Intro section.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

dont worry my mum and dad started together when they were in their late twenties. so age isnt everything, some year later they both won the national titles, so anything is possible really.

good lass give it ago.

:)

oliver willison

Never too old to start. And since you already have some background, that makes it even better. :) Welcome to the forum.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I'm 24 and train in Shotokan. Age isn't really a barrier in doing martial arts. I'm sure you'll love training again.

As for being a woman in martial arts... don't worry about it! Martial arts aren't exclusively male-dominated these days and there are plenty of dojo's out there that welcome female martial artists. Plus, there's plenty of women MA's who can certainly give the blokes an @ss-whuppin' in any fight!! ;)

On a related note, https://www.snappunch.co.uk - for women in martial arts.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Id love to get back into it...

in that case: yes, it is realistic :)

...but am afraid I will be the only woman there

most schools have almost equal numbers of each sex in their class.

in case you should be the only woman in your class, i bet you are even more :D

good luck.

One of the toughest instructors I've ever had was Amber Travsky, who teaches Okinawan Kempo in Laramie, WY. Sensei Travsky is five foot nothing, weighs about 100 pounds, and is blindingly fast, with punches and kicks like a collision with a freight train. In my current Dojo, one of the most "interesting" yudansha to work with is "Sheri." "Sheri" is a twenty-three year old Buffy lookalike who has ribcruncher side kicks. I would'nt worry too much about being a woman! :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I started at 23 and I don't regret it at all, it's great to get back into it.Good Luck

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder