• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian Yondan

cathal

Yondon comes quick to most because IMO Nidan is the hardest of the Heian kata. Sandan is not hard but does a lot of things you are not used to doing aka stops, elbows, double blocks, etc. Yondan is pretty straight out there not tricky at all. Its my fav. Heian kata by far.

I completely agree.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks. It was hard to see on the screen, so I printed it out...much better!

Very similar kata, but still, not quite the same either. Stances are wider and turned differently in some places, kicks are quite a bit higher than we do them, and the end of the kata is different.

If you'd like to print it out and follow along with the numbers, I'll just make a few comparisons.

1. We are in a passai stance, meaning feet are both out at 45 degrees from the body. Right hand is the same, left hand for us is straight out level with the shoulder, pointing out instead of up....palm facing up. That strike shoots straight out, not a circular movement.

2. Same as above.

3. We do a double fist, chest high..not a low x-block.

4. Appears the same as we do it.

5. This would be feet together, head turned to left, hands the same.

6. It doesn't really show what your left hand does in the picture, but we circle it in front of the head and smash downwards like a hammer fist. The kick is a front snap kick, not a side kick.

7. is the same.

8-10 is same as above. We don't do the low block that is shown between 10 and 11, but rather go from 10 to 11 directly with a foot sweeping motion.

11. Similar, but more of a straight front stance than what is shown, and the right hand technique goes straight out like a punch, not circling outwards first.

12-13. is the same, but out kicks are lower. it doesn't show it on the page, but after the kick touches lightly to the floor, we do a little hop step forward to close on the opponent.

14. this is where it gets tough to descibe. From position #13, feet don't move but rahter pivot where they are to face the same directuion as 14 is shown. Then we do a right front snap kick and a left outside block at the same time (this is the big differance) and then put the foot BACK (left foot forward) down where it was instead of stepping forward as the diagram shows. When foot is down, we do a double punch.

18. No stepping from last stance, but rather pivot to the right and left front snap kick and right outside block as you do. Bring snaop kick BACK behind you instead of forward..then double punch.

21. Step same (but we bend out knees more) and do a low block, then an elbow smash, then a double open handed block with a front snap kick. when the kick lands on the floor we pivot and reverse direction and do a left handblcok.

22. Step back and do right hand block.

Step back and finish/bow.

Like I said...very similar, but different.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Indeed, there are some differences there. Thank you for going through that, it was very educational. Its a great experience when you can learn about other styles. Thank you.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu